Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Milani One of a Kind

When the Milani Haute Value limited edition collection came out, Dress Maker, the mint green, got the most attention, which isn't surprising since it's supposed to be an almost perfect dupe for Chanel Jade, which goes for crazy prices on eBay. I wasn't immune to hype, I grabbed Dress Maker the minute I saw it. Later, though, I went back for One of a Kind, a dark lacquer that looks like the odd polish out in an otherwise bright and light grouping.

Milani

Left to right: Fashion Design, Dress Maker, One of a Kind, Hot Hot Hot, Tailor Made, High Fashion.


One of a Kind is a very dark green creme that looks black in quite a lot of lighting conditions. Despite how dark it is, One of a Kind took three coats for full coverage because it's a bit jelly-ish. It's also very shiny, but since I almost always use top coat that's less of a selling point than it might be.

Dark green

Dark green

I've only started collecting greens in the last year, but even so I was pretty sure I had something like this color in my stash, and lo and behold, look what I found:



Left to right: Milani One of a Kind, OPI Here Today Aragon Tomorrow, Zoya Envy.




Top to bottom: OPI, Milani, Zoya, Milani.




Top to bottom: Zoya, Milani, OPI.


In a lot of lighting conditions, I'd be hard pressed to tell these apart. The Milani is a teensy bit more yellow than the OPI and a teensy bit darker than the Zoya and a bit more jelly-ish than either of the other two, but unless one is a really serious green lover, I don't see that having all three of these is essential. Polish or Perish reported that NYC Flat Iron Green is in the same range as well.

9 comments:

  1. Great comparison! I have Kinetics "Velvet Green" which is also very close to those... I wouldn't call this a banal color but it curiously have many dupes. Anyway thank you for the swatch. I was really wondering if it was a black or something else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skipped this one since it looked black in store, and sadly I also own the Zoya & OPI. I usually just can't resist a green, but my willpower paid off this time (trying to save up for Burlesque, lol). Great comparison pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't look like it fits the collection very well. =^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I was wondering how that would look on the nails. I don't have the other so it could have a place in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love greens but these are just too dark for me. Even though I love jellies. I'm looking for a green jelly like Illamasqua Rampage only a tad lighter. I want New York Summer Amaranth but it's impossible to find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybelline has a new dark green creme too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie, funny you should mention that one; I have it as well and will be featuring in an upcoming post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your comparisons :) I don't have any of these polishes, but colour wise I would go for Zoya, cause you can actually see it's green, not blackish something ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.