Thursday, July 5, 2012

Recent NOTD: Nabi Magnetic Red and Natural

Much as I liked the crackle trend (and will continue to wear it from time to time), I like magnetics more. Magnetics are fun like crack in that they transform on your nails, but they've got more flexibility in that if the design comes out wonky, you can redo it without starting over, and you can use them as a regular polishes, too. Earlier this week, my nails were adorned in two colors of Nabi Magnetic: Red and Natural.



I used Barielle Fortifying Nail Builder and Salon Sciences Instant Artificials as my base, then two coats of the Nabi, then OPI RapiDry top coat. I wore this for four days and did have some small chips. I seem to recall getting better wear than that with my usual Sally Hansen Insta Dri top coat the last time I wore a Nabi, so perhaps the just OPI didn't get along with them.



One of these comes with a diagonal stripe magnet design and the other with a horizontal stripe, but due to my relaxed approach to placement, I bet you might be having trouble seeing which design I used on which nails.



And here's a look at my right hand, because I didn't paint it the same as the left like I usually do. I reversed the colors, putting the less eye catching Natural on most of the fingers and using Red for the accent (the thumb on each hand matched the accent nail). I did this because I smashed my right middle finger into a door handle and crushed the nail tip so had to take it shorter to remove the damaged part. I just couldn't bear to shorten all my nails to match, so filed down the rest of my right hand a bit so that hand wouldn't look too strange. I thought by switching up the color scheme I'd distract people's attention from the mismatched nail lengths between my hands. Not sure if it worked, since the people I interact with most don't pay nearly as much attention to my nails as I do, but it amused me so that's reason enough to do it again sometime, even after the problem nail grows out.





I enjoyed this mani so much that I decided I needed to buy more of the Nabi Magnetic colors, but my Walgreens took out their display when the Sally Hansen Magnetics came in, so I turned to my friend the internet and found SHOPNABI on amazon.com, where most of the colors are under $2. I couldn't figure out the pricing strategy; they range from $1.75 to $2.30. If you buy enough, the shipping isn't too bad on per bottle basis, either. My order came surprisingly quickly and the bottles were all in good shape. I find the Amazon reviews on these confusing, with some people saying they don't work at all, when I've never had any issues with the colors I've tried.

15 comments:

  1. I have 3 Nabi Magnetics, and haven't had any problems with them either, thank you for great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two of the Nabis but my Walgreens took the display out too. I think the Wags near work has it up still but it seems like Amazon might be cheaper. I very much like that Natural color. I think I need to pick one up lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I may have to get some from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magnetic strip design came out great! And I like the way you did the reverse on your right hand! :D

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty colors! I need more practice with my magnetic polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with the natural one! that is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the color combo you used and how you reversed it on your other hand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love these! accent nails and reversed hands! genius! i need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its nice and a great deal. Alot of the magnetic lacquers are way over priced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch, sorry to hear about your nail! I love that red magnetic polish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so funny how people just don't pay attention! I'm not a magnetic fan-geez is there anything I do like????? HAHA! But I just broke a nail and since it's on my non picture hand, I'm thinking of only nubbin that hand. How weird would that be? Plus, I am using that Orly bonder stuff that is awesome holding together several nails on my picture hand-growing out splits. So I guess maybe it's time to start over eh? Sorry, no idea why I just rambled nonsense on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like these magnetic colors :)
    Aw I do the same when one of my nails has to be filed down...I hate having to shorten all the nails, so I just file them a tad too haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that neutral is interesting...too bad Walgreens took the display down as they are wayyyy cheaper that the SH magnetics. At least you found another source for them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.