Monday, July 7, 2014

Milani Bella Blue

In my mid-June display post, I mentioned that I was glad to see the Milani Bella Blue limited edition display because it had been a long while since anything new from them had shown up in my stores. There was just one polish in that display, also called Bella Blue. In the bottle, this deep blue shimmer has some very intriguing multichrome tendencies, showing a range of colors from teal to blue to purple to pink to gold.



This applied nicely, needing only two coats for full opacity, and looked nice, with blue flecks against a deep deep blue base.





What I didn't see on my nails was any of the color shifting I saw in the bottle. I maybe could kinda convince myself I saw a little bit of purple sometimes, or maybe a hint of teal other times, but that was probably just wishful thinking. I went outside into the sun to see if that would help; it didn't. I took it off and tried one coat over a black base, which as we know often helps bring out a duochrome. That didn't work either. I angled my hand in every position I could think of and never got anything but blue. It's a nice blue, to be sure, but the bottle promised me things that weren't delivered. I know I can capture duochromes on camera; in this case there wasn't any shift to capture once the polish got onto my nails.

12 comments:

  1. looks great, my type of polish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the lies!!! I have been on the fence about getting this one since it first appeared in my Walgreens. I have picked it up and put it down several times. Now that you have uncovered it's devious nature I will pass. It is a pretty polish and if it didn't lie about it's color shifting abilities I would consider it but now I would only look at it as a horrible fake shifter. My wallet thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh too bad about the colour shifting! It looks gorgeous in the bottle but it's always such a dissapointment if a polish doesn't live up to your expectations or looks as good as it does in the bottle :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is insanely beautiful, it reminds me of the night sky! Love how fine the sparkles are! I do see a bit of purple in the bottle!

    Macarons and Mischief

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a gorgeous colour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful color. I was tempted by the blue lipstick and mascaras too but polish is my true weakness so it is the only product that came home with me from this display. I am sad to hear it doesn't have the color shift I expected though. Just the same this is going to be perfect for fall/winter too with the teal jewel tone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would have been really great if it had moved the shifing pigments onto the nail instead of leaving it behind in the bottle :)
    But it's still very nice, just not as unique...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with this polish. I wish they were available here in Italy!
    Quite disappointed about the lack of colour shifting once on the nail, but it happens. I think you could spot a very very subtle colour changing in certain angles and light conditions, though it's really hard to be captured being it so light.
    It is a great shade, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really pretty. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen anything new from Milani in a long while either... >_>

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting... I think I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loooove the blue to purple shift it has in the bottle!!! Shame it didn't show up on your nails :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.