Thursday, September 1, 2011

Essie Power Clutch

Last year at this time, I already had the entire Essie Fall collection and had swatched and compared all six colors. This year, I've only gotten one color, which I saw and grabbed off a random shelf at Meijer at the beginning of August, before I'd seen any displays for the collection at all. I just knew it was grey and I needed it. I mentioned it on a friend's Google+ stream—she'd linked to an article that called Power Clutch khaki, which confused me since it's not at all what I think of as khaki; then she found another article that called it dark green. I have a hard time seeing this as anything but grey—if it's green, it's the greyest green I've ever run into. I sure hope my color perception isn't going; I can't imagine doing this blog if I were color blind, though I guess it could be all about texture. One thing I do know for sure about Power Clutch: it's very shiny, even without topcoat. Swatches are two coats, though with careful application, I could see this being a one-coater.







When it came time for comparisons, I was more interested in the green/grey issue than finding a dupe, so I pulled out Rescue Beauty Lounge Orbis Non Sufficit, which is undisputedly green, and OPI Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees, which is definitely grey.



I used two coats of Orbis; surprisingly, I needed three of Suzi Skis.



Top to bottom: Orbis Non Sufficit, Power Clutch, Suzi Skis in the the Pyrenees.


Even next to a green, Power Clutch looks grey to me. That's not a problem; I like grey polish. I just ordered the rest of Essie Fall 2011 from AveYou (not affiliated) with the 50% off gift certificate deal from KGB Deals (that's a referral link for me, but I just signed up this week so am not sure how it works exactly), which I found out about thanks to the ladies on the MUA nail board.


25 comments:

  1. I love this dark color! Perfect for fall! and thanks for the *comparison*!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, it looked green in the swatches by itself, but next to another green, it looks gray to me! I still like it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Essie is sooo pretty! Thanks for the comparison that is always very nice :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm that color is really nice.. hmm i need more fall colors. maybe i shall try. ooh and good comparison. i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Essie formula and this color looks amazing, very helpful comparison there, I'll surely pick this one up when it arrives in these parts, probably around next summer ;(

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely grey. And I don't really see any green in it. But I love grey polishes, and Essie so of course I love this. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice nice color, I would have said a greenish grey, but compared to the others (great idea BTW)it's definitely gray. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say it looks like a super grey green. Whatever it is, it's nice, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely see a hint of green in it. ;) But green or grey.. who cares? It's a gorgeous shade!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is the one from the collection I really want to get! It's so awesome! I see a bit of green in the grey colour, like an undertone or something, it makes it even more special. I love green and I love grey, so it's a must for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree with Larie. Looks green in the swatches but grey in the comparison. Either way it's a gorgeous colour, and I think I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it has a hint of green but mostly grey?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this has got me double taking, the first pick looks kinda green but then Your comparison it looks so gray next to green very trippy! Regardless it's a beautiful fall color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Power Clutch reminds me of a color I just swatched from IsaDora called In The Army.

    I love how Suzi Skis looks so different on you than it does on me - it looks very grey.

    Have you tried comparing Power Clutch against Chanel's Khaki Vert from last year or Sew Psyched or Rescue Beauty Lounge's Diddy Mow?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah it definitely loses any hint of green when put up against the challenge -- still a pretty color though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have Power Clutch and Orbis and so glad your comparison shows them as different! I hate when I buy dupes!! Thanks KarenD!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this color, going on my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, ladies! Glad I'm not the only one who's having trouble spotting the green--sometimes I get a glimpse of it then it goes grey on me again. :)

    Carina M, I haven't tried next to Khaki Vert or Diddy Mow/dupes; that's a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the only one that appealed to me from this collection. Looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this, Essie is good at these slightly sludgy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in love with all three of these. I keep seeing reviews of Power Clutch everywhere. I wasn't going to buy it, but it's growing on me quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.