Friday, September 2, 2011

Franken: Lost in Space

When Ulta switched to the smaller/more expensive bottles for their salon line, they clearanced the old stock so I bought a few polishes to use in frankens. Today I've got the first frankenpolish to result from that purchase, a simple combination of Studio M Decidedly Devious (an extremely dark blue creme) and Ulta Piñata-Yada-Yada (a multi-glitter in a clear base, similar to Deborah Lippmann Happy Birthday; I did a comparison here).



Decidedly Devious is pretty pigmented on its own (it's nearly a one-coater for me), but the clear base in Piñata jellied it up enough that I needed three coats of the franken for full coverage. Since it was sheer-ish, I experimented on my ring finger with two coats of the franken followed by one of Piñata followed by one more of the franken. It turned out that the layering didn't look too different from the franken on its own; a bit more glitter density, perhaps.





I'm really happy with the depth to this, the glitter submerged in the deep blue at different levels. It reminded me of stars and planetarium shows, so I named it Lost in Space.



I don't have Deborah Lippmann's Forget You (yet) but based on swatches I've seen of it, this franken is its cousin—the glitter is a lot more dense in the Lippman, and the base is true black.

34 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the South Park episode planet-a-rium! I love this franken-really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers, hah--Mr. Karen and I can't say it the normal way anymore thanks to that episode. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks really nice, I like the bottles you use for your frankens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I am not so good with frakens yet....I'll get there though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cool and delicate at the same time :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great franken! It really looks nice and deep but the glitter cheers it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That came out really well! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this franken, good job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh hey, I made a franken-dupe of Forget You too! And I made the glitter sparser as well. The Lippmann was too chunky for my tastes. I like your version better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Looks very cool like stars in space,cute name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a beautiful franken!
    & perfect name

    <3 BB

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea, it looks so pretty, I have to mix up something similar myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh snap K! I really wish I had thought of this!!! I like it better than the Lippman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The name is perfect! Love the chunky glitter :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! I think the polish name suits the franken well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice franken! Love the glitter against the base color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. its so pretty!!! you did a great job Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this!!! Is so cool! I need to try this out! great job!(:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty franken and I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! this blog is fantastic and your photo are amazing! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's black, it has glitter... it's perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! The glitter lays perfectly at different levels. I need to get to making my own polish! I have the bottles, just need to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. seriously impressed with this franken. Great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It came out pretty awesome. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, everyone!

    Polish AMOR, I got this style of empties from Transdesign (haven't checked if they have on nailsupplies.us, their new site).

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it! It definitely does look like a planetarium.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.