Tuesday, September 27, 2011

L'Oreal Whimsical

The first time I saw a L'Oreal Color of Hope 2011 display, it was at Walgreens and had no nail polish at all (not even slots for it). A bit later, I spotted the one with polish at CVS, but one of the four colors was sold out. In the display entry where I shared that CVS one, I said the missing color was a peach shimmer (a statement which I think I based on seeing a bottle shot somewhere). I recently came across a full display at Rite Aid, and Whimsical looked more interesting than just another peach shimmer. In the fluorescent store lighting, it looked sort of coppery (it's the one on the far right, in the back behind the eyeshadows).



Of course I had to buy a bottle, and when I got it home and on my nails, I found it wasn't really a shimmer but more of a foil and the color was a lot more pink-toned than I expected. It was nearly mannequin hands-y on my skintone—flashy mannequin hands, to be sure, but it blended with my coloring a lot more than I thought it would based on seeing the bottle in the store. I used three coats of this (no topcoat, as typical for swatches for me) but I might have been able to get away with two. Clean up was a challenge, as tiny flecks of silver got all over my skin and did not want to come off; quite festive, really.









Looking at the Whimisical bottle, it reminded me of another recent acquistion, Revlon Innocent from the Edgy Elegance collection.



On the nail, the Revlon has more of a rose pink tone compared to the L'Oreal's peachy pink, and it's not as foil-y. The Revlon has silver flecks in it, same as the L'Oreal, but in the Revlon, they create sort of a speckled look. I'm not sure what to call the Revlon's finish: foil shimmer, maybe? Whatever it is, I used two coats of it.


Top to bottom: Whimsical, Innocent, Whimsical, Innocent.



Top to bottom: Innocent, Whimsical.



Innocent detail shot.


Neither of these look like fall colors to me, more like spring or even winter, but fall is when they showed up.

21 comments:

  1. I agree, they don't seem very fall-like, do they? Maybe even holiday (with all of that beautiful shimmer/sparkle), but not quite fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Loreal one. I have been trying to find this display for awhile now and no dice. I think I will hit Walgreens on the way home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty but I don't think they would work for me.

    I definitely wouldn't associate this color with fall lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice comparison. They don't seem very fall like but the other colors in this collection don't seem to go with the pinky foil.

    But I will say that this collection is very hard to find; I've only seen it at one Rite-Aid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This display is up at my Rite-Aid; I got Devotion, a milk-chocolately taupe, and Mystery, a deep green/blue that can look black. I was surprised that there were colors I wanted. Usually I find this collection pretty blah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the colour is also similar to gosh frou frou :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn, while I already have the Revlon, I like the L'Oreal swatch better. I was out this morning looking for some new drugstore displays but they still haven't made it to my area yet. *sign*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like the L'Oreal one better, but looking at it, it reminds me of Orly Rage. I wonder how they compare next to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good eye, the two colors are similar... funny because I thought Whimsical was a unique peach... until Revlon came out with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still can't decide how I feel about foils. I think I'd like them if I tried them more, especially in colors other than gold/silver. I'll have to find a blue foil, I'm sure I'd like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love foils but the Revlon is spectacular, too!
    I think they are nice colors for Winter...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this display at my Kroger but I wasn't that interested in it bc the colors looks bleah. Thanks for the swatch bc I might go pick it up now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice!
    I passed on it b/c I found the CC foils, plus I have a champagne leaning foil from Diamond Cosmetics.
    Hmm.
    Now I think I like it!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. those colors are so similar!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're both pretty, but I really like whimsical I don't have anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That polish is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a pink fest!!! Stay tuned-coming monday is the post dedicated to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They're both really lovely, fall or not! Haven't seen either of these up locally but will keep an eye out for Whimsical, love the sparkliness

    ReplyDelete
  19. perfect pinks. i need to find better stores where trhey have better displays though. ahhaha.i never see new things

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.