Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Store Report

Something amazing happened on my way home from work last night—I stopped at one of my favorite strip malls for nail polish hunting, went into TJ Maxx, Sally Beauty, Dollar Tree, and Ulta, yet did not buy anything. I sure didn't expect that. Very strange; who knew I could exercise such self-control?

What I did do was snap pictures of two displays at Ulta which I hadn't seen before. On a low shelf on an end in the drugstore makeup section, I came across an LA Splash Nail Art Glitter display. When I bent down to get a closer look, I saw it had a drawer at the bottom that slid out to reveal a nail wheel showing the glitters in both full nail and funky French looks.

LA Splash

There were 18 different colors of glitter, and each pot cost $3.99. That seemed steep to me, but it would since the only glitter I've bought so far has been at Dollar Tree (six colors for $1) and JoAnn (where I pretty much always have a 40% off coupon to use). Also in the display: a clear red base coat that reminded me of Maybelline Berry Water and something they called "glitter top coat" but I couldn't see any glitter in it; maybe they meant "top coat for glitter" or maybe the glitter was just hiding from me, as I did notice tiny scattered glitter bits above the tips on the funky French examples on the nail wheel. I was a bit confused by the way it says "3 Easy Steps" at the top and then shows 4 pictures, but I don't tend to follow instructions anyway so no matter. If these glitters had been on sale, I might have picked up a few, as I thought they were very pretty. A little flashy for my everyday life, maybe, what with the holo hex glitter winking out from them, but fun for a change of pace.

LA Splash

LA Splash

I also saw the Orly Plastix display for the first time. Being an Orly lover, I was very, very tempted by these. I had the purple one in my hand more than once, ready to head to the cash register, and expect it will call me back to buy it before too long, even though I don't have a coupon and they aren't on sale. I'm very curious to see what this finish will look like on the nail; I've only seen a few swatches and some have looked shiny and some have looked satin, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Orly

Looking at the picture again, I'm guessing I'll end up with more than just the purple. The teal is whispering to me, for sure. And the red. And if I get those three, I can't leave the orange, there, can I? It's this sort of rationalization that's filling my Helmers.

8 comments:

  1. The glitters are interesting but I'm like you I rather pay $1.00 for 6. The orly's look intersting but from pics I've seen they are a satin finish and I prefer matte. The colors are pretty though. I probably will use china glazes matte magic to make them really matte :) thanks for sharing!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about the Orly plastics polishes I haven't seen any swatches for them yet :o) I like all the colors but the red, i'm just not a red kinda girl. I also would rather get 6 glitters for a dollar :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's weird. I went into a bunch of shops yesterday and did not get my fancy tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the colors of the orly's do look tempting- maybe buy them when they're on sale or you've got an coupon for it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have to head over to ULTA this weekend! I really want to try one of the Orly Plastix :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first I've heard about Orly's plastic polishes. I haven't even seen the swatches. I'm totally curious and if I like them I hope I could get them asap! :)

    I think I saw glitters similar like that in Rite Aid. But yeah $3.99 does seem expensive for glitter! The only glitter I have, I got a small vial from a discount beauty tent in a street fair for $1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those ORly polish... I think they're whispering to me, too.
    Unfortunately we don't have them here in Italy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. is that plastix orly matte nail polishes?? hehe i love orly. but i dont hv that collection XD
    i never try glitter nails!! i want it now. thanks for sharing this. i never seen that LA splash nail arts here.! Envy! haha :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.