Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Recent NOTD: Cult Nails Enigmatic

Since purple is my favorite color, I was happy when I heard that one would be in the Cult Nails fall collection, and of course that was the first one I tried when I got my set. It's called Enigmatic, and is a warm purple shimmer.







I used two coats of this, but I think three would have been better, because this is pretty sheer for such a deep color. Here's a shot of the sun shining through my tips in the car—it's a better photo of my dash than my nails, but I think you can see what I'm talking about. (Those leaves on the right are a report card from my car, a Ford Fusion hybrid, about how efficiently I'd been driving—in this case, not that efficiently.)



I am sorry to say I was underwhelmed by this one. It's nice, but it didn't thrill me the way I'd hoped. Maybe I've just got so many purples already that new ones have to be really, really special to impress me. To jazz it up a bit, I added some stamping mid-week using Konad plate m51 and China Glaze Cyberspace.







Late in the week, I finally got a shot of this in the sun, which brings out more of the colors in the shimme in Enigmatic. Too bad I don't have a portable sun to carry around with me to make my nail polish look good!

18 comments:

  1. I like this purple... I've yet to purchase any Cult polish but I think I'm going to love it when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the purple, but I do agree..purples have to just wow me. I think the stamping really adds to it though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stampings. It looks like...illuminated magical carvings or something, like out of a fantasy/sci-fi movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of muted purples but with the stamp it looks really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stamping makes this color that much better !

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks brown to me =[ but I'm sure it's more purple in person =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color combo with the stamping :) Though I do think it's a gorgeous plum on its own! But then...I don't think I have anything like it, which might amp up its appeal to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty purple! I have seen prettier ones, though. But I love the stamping you added. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This purple is pretty, but not as amazing as some of Maria's other colors! I LOOOVE Cyberspace on the other hand, I wore it as a base with black stamping the other day. Such a gorgeous color, but it chipped really easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on 1400 followers....1500 will be right around the corner!

    I think there are nicer Cult polishes as well but it did look awesome stamped!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm the cult color is different...i'm not sure i'd get it.. but i really like your nail art. it reminds me of somegreek ancient design..turned holo.. or something.. i dunno i can't put my finger on it.. but it looks freakn cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been on the fence about the new Cult polishes and haven't orderd any from the recent collection. It is pretty but doesn't wow me. I do really like it with the stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. see, everything looks prettier in the sun ;-)
    i like the color, and the stamping :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that purple polish and I think the stamping was a nice addiction. I think the "leave" report your car gives you is so funny! It is like a wilted plant?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks really good in the sun, nice recovery with the stamp -- hopefully one day I'll be as clean with the stamping as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really pretty Karen! I love the purple-and glad your doing what you're supposed to to have leaves on your dashboard! Have no idea-what that means!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, ladies!

    Nail Art Epicness, it definitely leans toward brown, so your eyes aren't fooling you.

    Emily, yes, I was hoping for a really knockout purple from her. Maybe in a future collection!

    imfeelingnail-venturous, the plant doesn't so much wilt as disappear when I'm driving inefficiently--the leaves fade out and then the stems, then they come back when I start driving smarter.

    Fingers, I'm saving the planet, that's what I'm doing! Well, not exactly, but when I drive so that the battery part of the hybrid gets used more than the gas, I get more leaves and sturdier stems. The next generation of this display awards flowers, too--but Mr. Karen doesn't think that's a good reason to get a new car. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.