Thursday, May 17, 2018

Sassy and Chic Stencil Stickers

While on my recent Dollar Tree expeditions, I found these Sassy + Chic Nail Art Stencil Stickers. For a buck, I figured I'd try them.



The directions are straightforward: start with clean and dry nails, put on a base color and let dry, put on the stencil, paint over it, let that dry, peel off the stencil.



I skipped ahead to the putting on the sticker step, as I just used my existing Essie Treat Me Bright as my base color. The stickers are long enough that I was able to cut them in half, leaving more in the package for later. They were a tad narrow for me, though, with the design not quite reaching to both sides of my nails in all cases. I used Sally Hansen Insta Dri in Purple Heart and Cerulean to paint over the stencils.



When it came time to peel off the stencils, I felt they were a touch too sticky and hard to peel off. Mostly they worked okay, though, with the exception of one nail where the base color peeled up along with the sticker. It was so light a color, though, that it wasn't too noticeable. On the other end of the spectrum, I had some problems on a couple nails where I hadn't stuck the stencil down quite well enough at the tip of the nails so the design wasn't crisp there. Everywhere else, though the lines were good. The stencils are thick enough that topcoat is a must, but I didn't pick mine well. First I used OPI, which both smeared the design and wasn't thick enough to completely smooth out the nail. Topping the topcoat with OPI Sec 'n Dry did the trick (but couldn't fix the smearing, of course).



Here's the spot where I pulled up the base color (and you can see the issue with the narrowness of the stencil leaving blank stripes along the edges of my nails).



But when you pull back, it's not too bad.



For the money, I think these are a good value. Probably not as easy to work with as more expensive vinyls, and there's not much variety in available designs, but they do the job.

2 comments:

  1. They look beautiful :) I have use such vinyls before and I must say you did amazing job.My was totally mess. :) The nail polish would bleed every where. finally I ended up doing gradient :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that bad. Working with vinyl isn't that easy. Your final look is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.