Thursday, February 17, 2011

Franken: Coulda Bought This Blue

Since I went glittery for my first franken, I thought I'd try something different for my second. I used Borghese Mezzanotte Blue, a deep navy creme, as my base and turned it into a shimmer:



I named this Coulda Bought This Blue because I am pretty sure I ended up making something I either already own or could go to the store and buy pretty easily. Still, it's interesting to see how things combine. I used an old Sally Hansen Advanced Hard as Nails called Balance and Wet 'n' Wild Wild Shine French White as my transformative ingredients.



Balance is a pearly shimmer with a blue flash that I thought would work well with the Borghese.



I poured Mezzanotte Blue into an old L'Oreal bottle until it was about three quarters full, then added Balance until it was almost entirely full. That didn't look quite light enough to me, so I added five drops of French White. After mixing that up, it still didn't look light enough, so I added five more drops of white.



In normal room light (above) the shimmer is not too obvious; in brighter light (below), the blue flash from Balance pops out a bit more.



Here's the franken compared to Mezzanotte Blue alone and Balance layered over Mezzanotte Blue:



Top to bottom: Mezzanotte Blue, Mezzanotte Blue with Balance on top, Coulda Bought This Blue franken.


While this is not the most exciting color in my stash, I did achieve my goal of making Mezzanotte Blue into something that doesn't turn black on me in most lighting conditions, so I'm happy with it.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome that you made that beautiful color yourself!!! It's very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I didn't know that shade was an almost black shade on the nail. Good thing I didn't get it. I have this intense dislike for shades that appear nice and shimmery in the bottle but almost black and can't see the shimmer on the nail.

    I love your franken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! And who cares if you could've bought (or already had) a similar color...you made this one yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe you got that out of Mezzanotte Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whether you could buy this or not, its your franken and its VERY PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that colour, the shimmer is gorgeous! I think if I tried to make a colour it would end up brown...that's what normally happened in my school art classes! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never did a colour myself but this one looks really nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a difference when you mix the colors rather than layering them. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.