Thursday, May 10, 2012

It's Raining Displays

There are so many new displays showing up at stores by me that I need to do a post about them even though it's not quite been two weeks since my last one. Actually, I have enough photos that today we're just going to visit drugstores and "big box" stores. I wonder if nail polish sales go up in summer. More pedicures because it's sandal weather? Kids out of school have more time to paint their nails? Whatever it is, there's so much stuff showing up even I'm starting to feel overwhelmed, and I have a huge appetite for new polish. Rite Aid in particular has rolled out many new things, so let's start our tour there.

I've never seen Ma.nish.ma polishes anywhere but Rite Aid; for summer, they've got Electric Brights, six matte finish colors. Left to right: Bolts of Blue, Nuclear Pink, Rocket Green, Lightening, Electric Blue, High Voltage.



The glitters that showed up this past January were the first LA Girl polishes my Rite Aid ever got. Those have pretty much sold out, but they've been replaced by two new displays, Disco Brites and Fruity. Disco Brites is eight colors that glow in black light. Left to right below: Disco Ball, Disco Diva, Platforms, Disco Inferno, Hustle, Turntable, Vinyl Record, Dance Studio.



Fruity is also eight colors; the twist here is that they're scented. Left to right: Sparkling Peach, Zesty Citrus, Tropical Mango, Blueberry Fizz, Watermelon Splash, Strawberry Delight, Razzy Raspberry, Blissful Blackberry.



If the LA Girl scented ones didn't catch your fancy, Rite Aid also has some unbranded ones in a display simply called Scented Nail Color. Various scents here: Cotton Candy (blue green), Sherbet (orange), Strawberry (pink; darker than Strawberry), Bubble Gum (two version, one green, one purple; yeah, I don't know why either), Tropical Fruit (blue green; I don't know what fruit that is), Grape (two versions, both purple, thank goodness), Cherry (pink), Blueberry (blue), Raspberry (purple).



The Color Phase display at Rite Aid has six nail polish "dumbbells", with color at one end and a clear on the other. Per the display the "clear top coat creates color-changing effect". Double-ended bottles make me very uncomfortable due to storage issues, but for research purposes, I did buy one of these and plan to have swatches up sometime in the next couple weeks. There are six colors here, none with names as far as I could tell.



Right next to the dumbbells, I found something called Xtreme Nail Art. These are not only double-ended but dual-tipped, with both a brush and a pen on each side. There were six combinations but it was all too much going on for me, so I left those in the store. I figure I can create my own XTREME art with the stuff I've already got.



I was surprised to see a whole new line in the core display area at Rite Aid: Julie G. You may recall she did a collection for the Jesse's Girl brand some time back, but these bottles just said Julie G. Some of the colors did look a lot like some of the ones from the Jesse's Girl collection, though I didn't see my favorite, the teal shimmer called Mermaids Lagoon. When I first saw these, the display was just being stocked (I snapped a photo when the clerk putting the bottles in went up front to help the cashier) so some of the slots were empty. I went back later to see the rest of the colors but that photo was even less clear than the first one so that's why there are gaps in the pic below. There are 27 colors in this line: Oh Em Gee (hot pink creme), Fierce & Fab (bright purple creme), Bikini (bright coral creme), Kickin' It (bright blue shimmer), My Horoscope Says (fuchsia shimmer), Passion (warm purple shimmer), Butterflies & Rosebuds (deep plum shimmer), Metallic Heels (gold shimmer), Royal Rebel (blue violet shimmer), Cupcakes & Castles (light pink shimmer), Birthday Suit (light warm pink creme), Gelato in Venice (mint creme), Fairytale (lavender creme), Julie's Fave (coral creme), Dream in Pretty (lilac creme), 9 to 5 (bright light peach creme), Stiletto (taupe shimmer), Chic Cipro (camel creme), Peep Toe Pumps (deep berry creme), Cherry on Top (red creme), Elegant Edge (red wine creme), Dance in the Dark (deep blue shimmer), Sunset Kiss (red shimmer), My Private Palace (ivory shimmer), Shimmer Island (lime shimmer), Pink Tiara (rose shimmer), Mermaid's Tale (turquoise shimmer). Some of the shimmers were flecked, some looked like they might be foils, and a couple looked like microglitters. Below the Julie G bottles were the Scherer brands; I really should do more with those since they're not widely available.



Moving along to Walgreens (though these could also be spotted at Rite Aid), Sally Hansen has a couple seasonal Hard as Nails displays with groups of core colors in them. Sweet Sorbet has (left to right below) Heart of Stone, Hard Lemonade, Nail'd It, Mighty Mango, Rock-a-billy, Party Hard-y.



The Bloom display has Hard to Tell, Rock Bottom, Love Rocks, On the Rocks, Tough Love, Set in Stone.



At CVS, there was a shelf display of Spoiled colors called Chic Boutique, the first one I've spotted from that brand. It was all core colors, though, whites and pinks and black.



CVS also had a special display of Confetti called I Want Candy. A few of these looked quite a lot like core shades though the names didn't match. Colors here: Cherry Red (pinkish red creme), Blue Raspberry Twirl (turquoise shimmer), Cotton Candy (light pink creme), Red Hot Hugs (bright red creme), Banana Bobanna Cream (yellow shimmer; not a creme), Lots o' Dots (silver holo glitter in clear), Twisted Grape (purple shimmer), and a black whose name I couldn't read because it was printed in black.



CVS had a couple things from Wet 'n' Wild that I haven't seen elsewhere: a set of FastDry minis called Summer Getaway (six .17 oz. bottles for $3.99) and a bucket with six full size Fast Dry colors, a top coat, an emery board, toe separators, and stencils.





I've seen Nutra Nail Gel Perfect at various places before and ignored it because the removal scares me (which is silly, really, since I routinely remove layers and layers of glitter), but the limited edition Sorbet collection display at CVS did catch my eye long enough for me to take a photo. Six colors here: Raspberry, Grape (very light grapes, I guess, as this is pastel) Lime, Tangerine, Blueberry (very blue, so not like any actual blueberry I've ever eaten), and Bayberry (light turquoise). None of these looked unique enough to make me want to get involved with yet another brand.



Things have been pretty quiet on the nail polish front at Meijer, but they did put out the Wet 'n' Wild limited edition FastDry Sparks & Stripes display, which has six glitters (and a freaky painted hand). Four of these glitters will be very familiar to those of you with access to the Spoiled brand. The Spoiled twins are Explosions After Dark (silver/black/red, like Spoiled Shuffle the Deck), Beautiful But Dangerous (gold/fuchsia/turquoise, like Trust Fund Baby), Spontaneous Combustion (gold/green/blue, like Pet My Peacock), Light With Caution (gold/copper/multi, like Jewelry Heist). The two that I didn't recognize were School of Pyrotechnics (red/gold/blue/green/purple, photo below) and Stars & Stripes (silver stars and holo bars in clear). This is good news for glitter lovers who can get Wet 'n' Wild but can't get Spoiled as well as those who would rather not deal with the challenging Spoiled brush, which tends toward being huge and mop-like.





I had been hearing about the Maybelline Color Show polishes for weeks now, but hadn't seen them in person and finally got so impatient I braved a trip to WalMart, where I was greeted with a fairly picked over display but at least now I've seen some of them for myself. There are supposed to be 40 colors in this line; there were a little over half that number left in this display. Some of these were labeled as Metallics, Denims, or Shredded (a.k.a. crack) in a band at the bottom of the cap; some had no additional labelling there.







Bed Bath & Beyond had a display of Revlon double-ended polishes called French Mix. Why are you doing this to me, Revlon? First the crack and now these, which have some super pretty purples, but I just don't like this sort of packaging. Eight combinations here: Sneak Peek (warm tan and light blue), Chance Encounter (white and silver), All the Rage (purple and lime), Moonstruck (lilac and lightest purple), Over the Moon (teal and baby pink), Kiss & Tell (yellow and yellow orange), Miss Perfect (palest pink and white), Sweet Revenge (rose pink and periwinkle).



BB&B also had something that quite excited me: LA Splash polishes. I haven't seen these anywhere since Ulta discontinued them, and there were some glitters in there that I didn't have.



A couple of the stores on my regular polish hunting route recently completely redid their layouts, which meant for a couple visits I couldn't find anything. I walked into a CVS one day to see several of the big wall displays on the opposite side of the store from where they'd been, just leaning up against the side of the store.



At the Rite Aid that got spruced up, I stopped once mid-renovation and couldn't find where they'd put any of the makeup, but when I came back just after they'd finished the redo, I was greeted with this lovely view—full displays on bright clean shelves. Oh, if only every store could look like this all the time.



Join me next display post for the things I've recently seen at Sally Beauty and Ulta (I'll try to get that up next week, but work is going to be more time consuming than usual for the next several days, so we'll just have to see).


26 comments:

  1. Eep!! Can I come and live with you?!
    Seriously, there's so many polishes I want to pick up. I've recently discovered the L A Splash glitters, and I *need* more!
    Drool. That's all there is to say to this post. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Rainbowify Me can, I wanna come to, please, please, pretty please LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my.. My last thought after all inner "wow"s and "ohh"s was: it's actually great that I don't live in America. Because I would become penniless immediately and I would spend all my free time wondering around the shops and polish displays with the eyes of those guys from fantasy films who get to our times from the middle ages and see phones and tvs for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I laughed sooo much, I agree 100%!! =))

      Delete
  4. My stores never get these!!! Not to mention no Rite Aid, or Meijer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. Favorite posts ever :-) And my BBB doesn't carry makeup, which makes me really upset. Boo!

    If every store had perfectly reset and filled displays all the time, I'd probably pee my pants with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post!! I love these polish hunting adventures of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! Now that Ive seen this I want the nail art and the wet n wild bucket! Cant wait until the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw! Wish we had Rite Aid's here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these posts so much! This one was epic-thanks for all your effort!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow sooo many collections!! I'm still on the fence about the barbell bottles but I can't wait to see your swatches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I hve only seen a couple of these around .... Our stores suck :( the wet n wild look cool I think! Another awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right; it is a bit overwhelming and somewhat ridiculous that there's so much competition out there. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love it when you do posts like this! So many nail polishes to look at (and add to my wishlist XD)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I wish I lived in America...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting that WnW makes dupes of Spoiled in the Stars & Stripes so I don't get doubles (if that collex makes it up here). Your Maybelline Color Show display actually looks better than mine. When I went back to get more after Denim Dash, it had like 3 colours left. I'm still waiting for a restock.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I love you post (which encouraged& inspired me to do them myself :) )

    I stumbled upon a really great tip in a local beauty forum about the double-sided nail polish bottles: you can actually store them like normal nail polish bottles, you carefully wiggle one of the sides and pull until it comes out of the plastic holder (hope that makes sense, here's a picture so you can imagine it better)
    http://instagr.am/p/JpSk26pWlM/
    Just be carefull that you don't actually open the bottle of it in the process of wiggling and pulling or else you might end up with a mess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amusedPolish, interesting; thanks for the tip! I never thought to try de-coupling the double ended bottles.

      Delete
  17. Wow, just, wow! It would be impossible for me to chose just a few polishes with so many available.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG !
    It's a paradise !
    We haven't shops like this in France ( or very most expensive ! )

    I dream to go there ♥

    It's a shame to couldn't use url adress to comment :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugar Yummy, clicking on your name brings people to your Blogger profile, and that's got a link to your URL, so people can find you if they like. :)

      Delete
  19. Wish that we had all these displays! Even all these polishes wow would love if they were around here...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay awesome displays! Those dumbbell polishes look so weird to me lol I think I wouldn't want them for the same reason as you...storing them :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. i want to live in the center of those shops,,, i would be broke everyday,,, youre so lucky youre close to them

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun post of new displays, as usual! I've had some of those LA Girls scented fruity polishes for quite awhile... The Peach and the Blackberry and the Blueberry. I believe I bought them in November at a Gordman's when I was visiting Iowa? Anyway, I like all of them, especially the Peach.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've seen most of these too and it's so hard to resist! I want them all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.