Thursday, June 16, 2011

Recent NOTD: Flormar U09

Speaking of catching up (as I was, yesterday), I'm finally getting around to my nails of the day from the end of May and beginning of June. I posted a peek at this mani a couple weeks ago but of course I have many more pictures to share. As I mentioned, I got this polish, Flormar Supershine Miracle Colors in shade U09 in a swap. This one was with a lovely lady from Latvia I got to know through MakeupAlley. U09 is a flecked shimmer in a purple that gives my camera trouble—in most lights and with most camera settings, it looks cooler-toned than it is in real life. I've done my best to adjust things, so that accounts for my extra rosy skintone in some of these shots.







I applied two coats of the Flormar (plus my regular base and top coats) and it wore really well. When my regular polish change day rolled around, I just touched up the tipwear and added another polish from the same swap, Golden Rose Scale Effect in 09. Oh, glorious flakies! In the bottle I saw rosy coral and gold; on the nail I saw those plus orange and green depending on the light.









This is one of those manis I couldn't resist taking pictures of at random times. Here it is in my car in daylight:



Here is it in subdued lamplight:



I liked it with the flakies so much that instead of changing my polish when I did some swatching, I took a page out of Jenni's book and did a mismatched hands mani (I hope I'm remembering that right; I know someone I read regularly doesn't necessarily polish both hands the same). I left the Flormar plus flakies on my left hand and put something else on my right hand which had been stripped for swatching purposes. I had some lime green cremes sitting around (perhaps you saw the wheel yesterday), and I thought those went with the green flashes from the flakies. I didn't write down which one(s) I used (I was supposed to be getting ready to go out to dinner so was rushing), but I think it was probably Sally Hansen Grass Slipper or Orly Green Apple. I couldn't quite deal with one green hand and one purple hand, so I added China Glaze Fault Line on top of the lime to coordinate things better (I also topped my left index finger with the crack to help things pull together). My index finger is a good example of why you should make sure to thoroughly shake your bottles (or roll them depending on your preference and how much time you have to wait for them to settle). I didn't shake at all (rushing, remember) and ended up getting only the layer that had risen to the top on that first nail. Not the color I was going for, so I shook the bottle and then did the other three. (I did clean this up a bit after I took this photo but before I left the house.)



I rather liked the mismatched hands (accent hand?) look; I might have to do that more often.

24 comments:

  1. I'm loving the first mani! The polish on it's own is beautiful but with the flakies it takes it to a whole other level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Golden Rose flakie :-) so gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That NOTD is gorgeous with or without the flakie! More lemmings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo la la, love the first hand soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first mani. I have a bottle of Flormar in my untrieds, I need to grab it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flormar purple is really pretty. I think is even nicer without the flakie:)

    About your question , yes I applied 2 coats of each colour I forgot to mention that on my post:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am glad you like it! one of the nicest swaps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies!

    justasachild..., I didn't connect you and your blog 'til just now! Duh me. I'll add a link right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. those flakies... omg. they are killing me dead, i tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so pretty!! I love the flackies!! so cute!

    I gave you a blog award!(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Golden Rose flakies, beautiful!
    When I used to play guitar I always had mismatched hands, different polish on each and super long nails on my picking hand and super short on my other hand. I think mismatched polish looks good, mismatched length looked a little weird though! :P xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. i absolutly love your blog!!!

    your manis are incedible!

    please check out my blog(:

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Flomar looks really familiar but is off the charts with the flakies on top! I love those things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. those flakies.!! are so pretty! i NEED one.!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! Much beauty!!

    The Flormar is fantastic!!!

    And I am swooning from those flakies!!!

    Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the flormar too, it's waiting in my untrieds

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like both manis the flakies look so pretty over the and the green with purple crackle looks awesome , I always do that too I can't stop staring at manis I love and end up taking random pics in random places especially in the car lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh i like the flakie first manie. so nice. but both manis are nice

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those flakies are gorgeous! I need to get a polish like that. And thanks for stopping by my blog! For some reason, your comment didn't show up :/ Intense Debate has been flaky lately >:(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Flakies~!! I'm in love with flakies!! ;D it looks so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. gorgeous color, and combo with flakies... wow, to die for :-D
    i love accent nails, it's easiest way to do something different with your nails ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. flormar + flakies = ohmygoodness_wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.