Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Recent NOTD: Lots of Layers

Yes, I did disappear for a few days, but I am back now, having spent some time with my mom and brother and nephew in Illinois and before that a few days at a conference with online writer friends. I didn't change my nail polish as much during my trip as I thought I might (some years at this con, I've done a new look every day) but I made good use of my manicure supplies in another way. This year, the conference theme was games, and one of the competitions was a coloring contest. Markers and crayons were provided, but the rules didn't say those had to be used, so I did my entry in nail polish and used one of my dotting tools to add some texture. Of course I used ample amounts of glitter polish; that may have been the thing that caught the judges' eyes, as I ended up winning first place with this masterpiece:



I did my nails after I packed my car for the drive to the conference, and one of the things I'd packed was my lightbox (I had visions of catching up on some swatching—ha! is all I have to say about that now), so my first photos of this manicure are just in normal room light. Over a base of Barielle Fortifying Nail Builder and Salon Sciences Instant Artificials, I did one coat of an old Maybelline Ultimate Wear called Velvet Crush; it's a deep coppery brown shimmer. On top of that, I layered two coats of Pahlish Coronation at Westminster, then on my ring fingers and thumbs, added an accent of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Bold Gold. Diamond Dry topcoat was the finishing touch.





A couple days later, I did set up my lightbox in my hotel room, so here's a good look at Coronation at Westminster, which has a sheer black base packed with gold shimmer and multi colored small glitter.



I had some tipwear at this point, but nothing crazy (especially considering I'd been doing unusual for me things like bowling in the interim).





Later that day, I decided I wanted to change up my look a bit but didn't have time to do a full mani, so I added one coat of Nfu Oh 57 to most of my nails, with a coat of Girly Bits Gravedigger going on my accent nails.





After I left the conference, I did a full polish change to something more spring-like, but I'll share that later, as I plan to swatch the whole collection and it would make sense to just roll it in there.


11 comments:

  1. congrats on the winning! your masterpiece looks wonderful! and this mani look lovely. Black is one of the color i really rarely to wear but after seeing this , it reminds me to rocking the black nail polish again sometimes soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute picture and amazing mani! Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that was WetnWild glitter on that pix...or at least something you have a back up of! Love that Pahlish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the masterpiece, that surely deserve to win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dinosaur masterpiece looks awesome! Congrats on winning first! :D Loving the nail polish too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY congrats Karen, the dino is so cheeky looking and I love the glitter back ground - it must have been fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, what a beautifl & fun painting! Adore the nail polish too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Love your coloring! Love the glitter on your nails too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your masterpiece, congrats :D
    and your nails look great, glitter always does :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on winning with your picture! I really like the look of the starry sky. I almost bought Coronation At Westminster while it was still for sale but I ended up passing on it since black polishes aren't my absolute favorite. Still, those rainbow glitters are so pretty in the dark base!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.