Friday, December 10, 2021

Layering with Orly

I haven't bought nearly as much from Orly since they pretty much disappeared from stores in the last few years, but I did make the effort to go to their website and get some polishes this year after I was seduced by ads on social media. Left to right: Lisa Frank Hits the Spot, Kelli's Emerald, Kelli's Green, and Turn It Down.
 
Orly nail polish Hits the Spot, Kelli's Green, Kelli's Emerald, and Turn It Down
Kelli's Green is a spring green with golden green shimmer that's on the subtle side but definitely visible in most lighting conditions. I used three coats for my swatch. As it dried, I felt it lost some shine, maybe due to a touch of neon pigment, so put clear topcoat on my middle, ring, and pinky fingers. The topcoat didn't make a dramatic difference so maybe I was imagining that dulling as it dried.
 
Orly Kelli's Green nail polish
 
Orly Kelli's Green nail polish
Here it is in direct light:
 
Orly Kelli's Green nail polish
Despite having so many black and white glitter toppers, I went ahead and got Turn It Down, too. It seduced me by having light grey glitter in the mix.
 
Orly Turn It Down nail polish
I slicked one coat of Turn It Down over Kelli's green. There was no fishing needed even for the bigger hexes. I added clear topcoat to smooth but it wasn't especially bumpy.
 
Orly Turn It Down nail polish over Kelli's Green
 
Orly Turn It Down nail polish over Kelli's Green
Kelli's Emerald is a deep green with golden green and blue flecked shimmer that shines even in indirect light.
 
Orly Kelli's Emerald nail polish
 
Orly Kelli's Emerald nail polish
 
Orly Kelli's Emerald nail polish
I'm too old to have been in the right age group when Lisa Frank was at its peak popularity so don't have any super strong connections to the brand, and I've got some mixed feelings about it now thanks to reading reports of what it was like to work there, but nonetheless I bought Hits the Spot, a bright multi-colored glitter topper from the new collection Orly did with Lisa Frank. It was the yellow star glitters that sold me. I did have to do a bit of fishing to get them on my nail when I topped Kelli's Emerald with one coat of Hits the Spot. Worth it. In addition to the yellow stars, there are hexes in various sizes in lime, light and medium blue, light orange, purple, magenta, and pink, as well as fine silver holo shimmer. I did add clear topcoat, too, since those stars do have pointy bits.
 
Orly Hits the Spot nail polish over Kelli's Emerald
 
Orly Hits the Spot nail polish over Kelli's Emerald
I'm happy I got all four of these and feel like maybe I need to make an effort to pay more attention to Orly.

1 comment:

  1. OMG these are all nice. I don't think I can get them over here yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.