Monday, February 21, 2011

Franken: Carnival Red

I returned to my glitter-loving ways for the franken I made after the blue shimmer. For this one, I used Wet 'n' Wild Hallucinate as a base and added four of the holographic glitters I bought at JoAnn Fabrics.



I first poured out about one quarter of the Hallucinate into an empty bottle to make room for more glitter, then added two to three funnels worth each of red and purpley pink holo glitter, around one funnel of orange, and just a touch of gold. (I'm not sure how much my funnel holds--maybe a half teaspoon or so.) I topped if off with some Revlon Natural (a.k.a. clear), dropped in a ball, and shook.

I then let it sit overnight; the purple holo glitter from this set that I used in my first franken had behaved just fine, but this was different colors in a different base. The next morning, I found the glitter still suspended and the base rather more red than it had started out. There'd obviously been some bleeding of color off the glitter, but it didn't all bleed off because I could still see lots of happy shades winking at me from the bottle.



When I put it on, I decided the bleeding was a good thing, as it had created a sort of red jelly base for the glitter.







I'm quite pleased with this one, even though it eats topcoat. (I used two layers of topcoat in these pictures; three might have been better.) It's like the tropical vacation version of Studio M Slamming Red.

30 comments:

  1. :) I love this franken. Haha it made me giddy to see what you had made when I saw the glitter at the top of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a bit chunky but even so, the result and all is really nice, I like how it end up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty!! :) Another amazing franken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic color!

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this franken creation! it looks a little bumpy/chunky.. but the color is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! Glitter-mania Deluxe!! That looks swell and you wear it quite nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This belongs in the Burlesque collection! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I think I'm gonna have my ex/friend send me some (no JoAnns here) or I'll try Michael's first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. I love when I do something and it "seems" to mess up, but really makes the franken better. Digging the pinkish/red jelly finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous franken! I need to hit up Joann's for some glitter soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Love all the glitter in this! Nice franken!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wooo I love this franken. Pretty nice !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, ladies! This one is definitely on the chunky end of the glitter spectrum; I'm happy to put up with that for all the sparkle I get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so pretty. chunky glitters are a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really nice. The colour is gorgeus

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tropical vacation, indeed! Totally looks like summer to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing franken! It came out beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is very nice :) I like it a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! I think the red jelly base is definitely a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, gorgeous sparkle, do you know what size the glitter is?

    ReplyDelete
  21. jazzqueen64, I'm not sure how many microns the glitter pieces are (and the front of the package doesn't say--I don't have a photo of the back and didn't keep the card the packets were on). I'd say they're a little bigger than the glitter in something like OPI Mad as a Hatter but not as chunky as say Nicole by OPI Nicole's Nickel. Does that help?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.