Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Wheel H8: Magnetics in Cylindrical Bottles

When I got back into nail polish 'round about late 2009, magnetics were a rare and exotic thing. I remember getting a few precious L'Oreal Star Magnet colors in swaps with ladies from Europe and treasuring them like the jewels they were. Then a couple/few years later, magnetic polishes were everywhere, with drugstore and salon brands alike coming out with multiple shades. I of course bought a lot of them. Today's wheel o' magnetics is just a fraction of the ones I have in my stash. I had to start somewhere, so I grabbed the eight colors Sally Hansen released (and I swatched) in spring/summer 2012 along with other brands in similar bottles—I strongly suspect these all rolled down the same filling line and just got different labels at the end.



(all two coats)

1. Sally Hansen Magnetic Silver Elements
2. Sally Hansen Magnetic Graphite Gravity
3. Sally Hansen Magnetic Ionic Indigo
4. Sally Hansen Magnetic Polar Purple
5. Sally Hansen Magnetic Red-y Response
6. Sally Hansen Magnetic Kinetic Copper
7. Sally Hansen Magnetic Golden Conduct
8. Sally Hansen Magnetic Electric Emerald
9. Nails Inc. Magnetic Effect Houses of Parliament
10. Color Club Magnetic Force Steel of the Night
11. Color Club Magnetic Force Magnetic Force
12. Color Club Magnetic Force Sci Fi
13. FingerPaints Magnetic Steel of the Night
14. FingerPaints Magnetic Electro Midnight
15. FingerPaints Magnetic Hipnotic
16. FingerPaints Magnetic Cop an Attitude
17. Icing Magnetix unnamed grey
18. Icing Magnetix unnamed blue
19. Claire's Magnetic unnamed rose
20. Claire's Magnetix unnamed green

Bottles 1 through 4:



5 through 8:



9 through 12:



13 through 16:



17 through 20:





















Destash notes: In a somewhat unusual approach for me, I refrained from buying every shade of every line of magnetics once the intial rush had passed, so I have less destashing to do than I otherwise might. For instance, the two Icing colors here are the only two I bought. Still, there are dupes and close-enoughs here: 1 and 17, 2 and 10 and 13, 3 and 14 and 18, just for instance. Since I have the full set of Sally Hansen (though later they came out with other colors, too), they'll get to stay and the other brands will go. When I destash. Which I will. Someday.


7 comments:

  1. This nail wheel is so mesmerizing!! It's almost a work of art on its own. I only have 3 magnetic polishes of which I only like 1, but I kind of love every one you own. I especially love the ones that have some extra sparkle, like Silver Elements, Golden Conduct and Force Sci Fi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shimmer in Silver Elements. I haven't worn magnetics in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I don't have any magnetics :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still totally in love with magnetic polishes. I got SO many of the Nabi ones because I just knew they were going to disappear again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some nice ones. I really do like magnetics. They are just so much fun :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never really wear magnetics any longer, but I love the look of Sally Hansen Magnetic Red-y Response!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.