Thursday, September 26, 2013

Cover Girl Hunger Games Glosstinis Swatches

Between the two Cover Girl displays I shared in my big display post last week, I picked up all nine of the Glosstinis shades that are a tie-in with the Hunger Games Catching Fire movie. Top row: Sulfur Blaze, Flamed Out, Rouge Red, Inferno. Bottom: Pyro Pink, Violet Flicker, Seared Bronze, Scalding Emerald, Black Heat. All of these are microflakie/flecked shimmers.



These bottles are small, holding 3.5 ml (.11 fl. oz.), so I went with Skittles swatches in the interest of not making such a big dent in them. For the top row of colors, this actually worked out quite nicely as an ombre. I just need to figure out what to do on my thumb to complete the look for a full mani. Top to bottom: Sulfur Blaze (yellow), Flamed Out (orange), Rogue Red (orange red), Inferno (deep orange red). All are two coats, no topcoat.



Here's a closer look at the lighter three shades of this quartet:



Inferno has golden and orange microflakie shimmer in its deep orange red base and just looks like autumn to me.



These warm shades glowed nicely in low light:



For the second quartet, I chose (top to bottom below) Pyro Pink (berry pink), Seared Bronze (coppery old gold), Scalding Emerald (olive brown), and Black Heat (black olive). These were also two coats, no topcoat.



Detail of Pyro Pink and Seared Bronze:



Detail of Scalding Emerald and Black Heat:



These four shades didn't take quite as well to low light as the previous four:



I liked the multicolor microflakies in Seared Bronze and Scalding Emerald but was sure I'd seen these combinations before. Sure enough, I had. Left to right below: Anise Gilt Trip (brand is available at DSW, the shoe store), Cover Girl Seared Bronze, Cover Girl Scalding Emerald, Estee Lauder Explosif. I had a hard time telling the Cover Girl colors apart from the dupe candidates I pulled from my stash. The Anise is maybe a tiny bit darker than its CG counterpart, and the Estee Lauder perhaps a smidge yellower, but not much as you'd notice at a glance.



Since purple is my favorite color, I saved Violet Flicker for a full hand swatch. Like the previous shades, I used two coats, no topcoat. Violet Flicker is a warm plummy purple with blue and pink shimmer.



I was quite taken with this one; I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it into my Top 20 for 2013.



Violet Flickr in low light:



Overall, this is a nice collection. I think most people could find at least one flattering color here; there's a nice range from brights to classic colors to quirky ones to a deep dark. I just wish the bottles weren't so small. I've already bought an extra Violet Flicker (I figure it doesn't really violate my "no backups" policy if the total volume doesn't exceed one standard 15ml bottle). I'm a bit confused about why there were only four colors in one display and nine in the other, especially when there are 12 Districts in the Hunger Games (this is one time a big 12 color collection would make perfect sense). Perhaps more displays with still other Glosstinis colors will pop up as the movie release gets closer, but I don't think that's the case based on poking around the Cover Girl Capitol Beauty Studio website. The two looks that are unlocked now (there's one for every District) show colors in the Nail Look section from the Outlast line, not any of these Glosstinis. Guess we'll have to wait and see; the other looks unlock on October 1, 3, and 7.

30 comments:

  1. o0o0h, These colors are very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these colours! the orange ones are my favourite! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm I was trying to avoid these but I kinda dig them. I don't approve of the smaller bottles though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first four is very similar to OPI's Burlesque Collection, they're identical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OO I love these! They all look great on you and I am such a sucker for shimmer!!! Hmmm I don't think I have ever bought CG polish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look overall pretty nice! I specially like Inferno :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of that series at all but these are so PRETTY! Shame about the tiny bottle size :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the first photo of swatches, but the rest of the collection is pretty meh. I liked the collection with china glaze better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen these out yet; I'll have to watch out for them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're pretty colors, but... I feel like I've seen almost this exact post from you before with another collection. Is it just me? o_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy, hmm, I'm not sure. I've certainly done similar posts but can't think of one just like this. Maybe one of the Zoya collections came close???

      Delete
  11. Oh geez. I don't know which of these I like the most, they're all so gorgeous! Especially that shimmer in Inferno!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The orange ones are quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought Black Heat, Scalding Emerald, and Rogue Red - none of the others really screamed at me - although looking at them at home I'm pretty sure I have something close if not identical to Black Heat and Rogue Red.

    The small bottle size is ridiculous, especially if you buy them at a drugstore like CVS or Walgreens where they tend to be priced higher. I don't know what CoverGirl was thinking when they okayed this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd buy them all, as a Hunger Games fan ♡_♡ , but I think I could skip olive, bronze and black: as I like flakes and I already own similar polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like several of these, and the first quartet works wonderfully as an ombre.
    A great post, the first I have seen with all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Their nice. I like the last set best. I would buy if they had them here :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bottles are so tiny, but the polishes look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so gorgeous!!! Gotta love flakie shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am in love with the warmer shades in this collection! Micro flakes/shimmer look so good in red/purple shades <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where did you find all 9? I am desperately hunting for them but can only find the counter top display with just 4 of the Glosstinis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I got them at Meijer, a Michigan-based chain that has stores in a limited number of states. I'm guessing these additional colors will start showing up other places soon.

      Delete
  21. lovely colors, they reminds me so of autumn leafs :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are prettier than I thought they would be. I still have not been able to find any of them in any of my local stores yet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They have them all at CVS.The Wags only has 4.The Meijers only has 6 and I think CVS may have more than 6.I didnt check really good.But grab whats at Wags because they are buy1get1 50% off right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lollopopmissfit, the displays at every Meijer I've seen have had all 9 colors. I'd be curious to see the 6 color display at yours if you got a photo.

      Delete
  24. Wow they're all so beautiful to look at...

    ReplyDelete
  25. As soon as I saw the first ad for this collection, I knew that I had to have it! So when I notice that Wal-Mart had the Hungergames nail polish, I started buying! My first four were the : Purple, both Reds, and the Black! I love, Love, LOVE these colors, and can't wait to get the rest of them! So, ...., looks like I'm going back to do some more nail polish shopping!!! HAPPY-HAPPY/JOY-JOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. As soon as I saw the first ad for this collection, I knew that I had to have it! So when I notice that Wal-Mart had the Hungergames nail polish, I started buying! My first four were the : Purple, both Reds, and the Black! I love, Love, LOVE these colors, and can't wait to get the rest of them! So, ...., looks like I'm going back to do some more nail polish shopping!!! HAPPY-HAPPY/JOY-JOY!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.