Friday, August 29, 2014

Cinapro Nail Sugar

One of the things that showed up at Sally Beauty this summer was the Cinapro Nail Sugar Liquid Nail Art display, which was in my early July display post. All the displays I saw had eight colors of what looked to be chunky glitters, all with lights in the caps. Initially I only bought a couple of the colors to try but on subsequent trips to Sally as the summer went on, I eventually accumulated the whole set.



Golden Ticket has gold shimmer and microglitter combined with small and medium rose pink hex glitter in a clear base. I swatched this at three coats on its own. I didn't add topcoat, and it was just a tiny bit bumpy; with "sugar" in the name, I was expecting more texture. The gold was very shiny and metallic looking, with the pink glitter seeming to float on top of it. This could be worn alone; at some angles I thought I spied a hint of visible nail line but the gold was so blingy it distracted me from any VNL concerns.





I admit I did not try the light in the cap until I'd already put on my polish the old fashioned way, using the light in the room to see where I was putting the brush. The bulb is in a slim bumped out section along the side of the cap, and is turned on by clicking a push button switch on the top of the cap. It does put out a fair bit of illumination, though it can cast odd shadows if you don't take care to hold the cap so the light is not coming from behind the brush as you look at it. I did not try using it in a dark room, as I can't imagine what situation I'd be in where I would need to do a mani in the dark (people had best not be cracking these open in places like movie theaters). It's a fun feature, but not especially useful as far I'm concerned.



Cotton Candy has a sheer pink base packed with various sizes of iridescent glitter. I swatched this at three coats alone on my ring finger and two coats over NYC Lafayette Pink, a pink creme, on my other fingers. This could be worn alone, but I liked it better layered as a toppper.





Cotton Candy bears a slight resemblance to Zoya Harper from this summer's Bubby collection, so I did a comparison. Left to right (3 coats each): Cotton Candy, Harper, Cotton Candy, Harper. You can see that Cotton Candy is the more blingy sister in the pair, with much more dense and colorful glitter. Harper's distinguishing characteristic is her gold shimmer, which Cotton Candy does not have.



Hyperactive has various sizes of lime green and holographic glitter in a sheer green base. I layered 3 coats of it over SinfulColors Solar Flux, the yellow creme from this summer's Silk + Satin collection. I also added topcoat because I decided I was just being lazy not topcoating these Cinapros.





I decided that three of the colors would look good over the same base, and might look good layered with each other, too, so I put down two coats of Butter London Dahling, a deep dusty pink creme. On my index finger, I added two coats of Cherry Cola, which has small and medium red glitter in a clear base. On my middle finger, I did one coat of Sugar Rush, a multi-colored glitter mix in a clear base (the multi colors are silver, gold, green, blue, and hot pink). I topped my ring finger with one coat of Black Licorice, a silver and black glitter mix also in a clear base. On my pinky, I did one coat of each of the three glitters. I slicked clear topcoat over everything, then utterly failed to take even one photo where all four nails are in focus at the same time.



I think putting all three glitters together was one glitter too many. I think any pair of them would have been great, but I didn't take the time to experiment with that.



I did take the time to do a bunch of detail shots of this look before I moved on:







Rock Candy has small purple square glitter with larger black, silver, and pink hex glitters in a very sheer purple base. I did four coats of it by itself on my ring finger for an accent nail, while on my other digits, I did two coats of Rock Candy over NYC Robin's Egg Blue, a pale turquoise blue creme. I put topcoat over everything, too. I thought this would be my favorite because purple, but on the nail I felt the hexes dominated the mix too much.





I noticed that the last polish, Sweet Tooth, was showing some duochrome in the bottle, so I laid down a black creme base (Wet 'n' Wild Black Creme, my go to black) on all but my ring finger accent nail, the better to bring out any duo there was. I did two coats of Sweet Tooth over the black and three coats of it alone on my ring finger. All nails then got clear topcoat. Sweet Tooth has white shimmer as well as blue/purple shimmer and microglitter plus medium and large blue glitter in a clear base. I was very pleased to see that the color shift I spotted in the bottle also showed up on my nails, even the one where I did not use black underneath. I think is is similar to Ciate Risky Business, but I've only seen that one at Sephora, I've not tried it on my nails.







Mostly Sweet Tooth shifted between purple and blue, with the blue glitter popping more or less depending on what the base was doing. But look at this craziness when I turned the lights down low—pink and green came to join the party, too. I was fascinated with this. I mean, I've seen multichromes before, but never expected this polish would bust out so many colors, especially since none of the other ones in the collection were nearly so complex.



Apparently (apparent from a press release I found online) there are two other colors in this collection: Creamsicle, described as "orange jelly base with fine particles of orange and gold" and Salt Water Taffy, "a clear jelly base with fine silver glitters". Where one would get those I have no idea, as all the Sally stores I've been to only have the eight shades I swatched. I'm okay with missing silver glitter in a clear base, but the orange one sounds interesting.

These Nail Sugars are the first Cinapro polishes I've ever seen, much less tried. I can't find a price for these online; I think they were in the 8 dollar range at Sally Beauty with the card and monthly coupon.

7 comments:

  1. I saw these at Sally's, too... price was a little high for me, but I really do like that blue. Normally I'd go for the acid green, but I like how the blue seems like a more complete polish, as in it doesn't have to be used as a topper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that last one looks so cool! Golden Ticket reminds me of Maybelline Brocade's Knitted Gold a bit. I love your colour combinations a lot here, Cotton Candy with the pink being my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I even need to say that Hyperactive is my FAVORITE? XD They're all pretty cool, though. Don't think I've seen anything like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beauties, the first three and the last one are my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look really nice. Cotton Candy and Sweet Tooth are wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last photo just WOW! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourites are Rock Candy and Sweet Tooth :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.