Friday, November 21, 2014

Revlon Transforming Effects Swatches

Given my love of layering, there was no way I was going to resist the Revlon Transforming Effects topcoats for long, even though, like yesterday's Sally Hansen Velvet Texture colors, they're not limited edition. (I did manage to resist the base colors on the other side of the display, for now at least.) Top: Pink Glaze, Matte Pearl Glaze, Gold Glaze. Bottom: Nude Graffiti, Holographic Pearls, Golden Confetti, Cosmic Flakies.



Gold Glaze has a transparent base packed with gold microflakie/microglitter shimmer particles.



Golden Confetti has gold and holo metallic string glitter in a clear base.



I combined these two golden toppers into one mani over a base of Sally Hansen On the Mango (from the fall limited edition Complete Salon Manicure collection, as are all the base colors I'll use in this post). Top to bottom (over two coats of On the Mango): one coat of Gold Glaze, two coats of Gold Glaze, one coat of Gold Glaze plus one coat of Golden Confetti, two coats of Golden Confetti. The last two nails have topcoat as well, as the bar glitter needed a little smoothing (not much, but some).





Here are the golds glowing/sparking in low direct light:



Nude Graffiti has white, pink, and light peach matte glitter in a clear base. The glitter pieces are mostly hexes ranging from tiny to large with some bar glitter as well.



I wanted to see Nude Graffiti over both a dark and a light, so put Sally Hansen Rupee Red on three of my nails with Himalaya as an accent. On my index and pinky, I did one coat of Nude Graffiti plus clear topcoat; on my middle and ring fingers I did two of Nude Graffiti only so you can see how it is not particularly bumpy alone.





Cosmic Flakies has iridescent shredded mylar flakes in a translucent base.



I used Sally Hansen Ever Green as a base under Cosmic Flakies. On my index finger, I did one coat of Gold Glaze plus one coat of Cosmic Flakies; on the rest of my nails, I did two coats of Cosmic Flakies alone. I did not add topcoat because I was pleasantly surprised at how little these shreds stuck up. The warm green base seemed to bring out the gold and green faces of the shreds; I'm going to need to try it over a purple or pink next time to see what happens (sorry I didn't think to do that for this post, but I was just so excited to try the rest of this line).





Pink Glaze is the same finish as Gold Glaze, but with purpley-pink shimmer in it instead of gold. I did one coat of it over Sally Hansen Rhododendron and Cute-ture (the accent nail).





When I finally get my stash back into storing it by brand, I am going to have to give serious thought to putting the Sally Hansen Complete Salon and Revlon in the same drawer—just look how nicely the bottles fit next to each other:



Holographic Pearls has a clear base packed with silver holo microglitter.



To see how strong Holographic Pearls was over a range of values, I did a Skittles base with Sally Hansen In the Flesh, Cute-ture, Rhododendron, and Rupee Red, then added one coat of the Holographic Pearls. The rainbow colors spark even in indirect light, so that's a win as far as I'm concerned.



In direct low light, more colorful sparkles appeared:





I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the Matte Pearl Glaze; what I could see through the frosted glass looked similar to a regular matte topcoat, just a touch more milky. I put down a base of Sally Hansen Dark Knight, an almost black navy blue, then did the regular Revlon Matte Top Coat on my index finger and the Matte Pearl Glaze on my other digits. The Matte Pearl Glaze was definitely matte; I'm not as sure about the pearl part. I guess I was imagining a matte version of Runway Pearl, which had a very fine pink shimmer in it; this has more of a microflakie look to it—still pretty, no doubt, just I wouldn't look at it and think "pearl".







Overall, I say yay to Revlon for these. There's a good variety of finishes, and they're reasonably priced (under $5 at most chains). Matte Pearl Glaze is the standout here; I can't think of anything quite like it in my stash.

14 comments:

  1. I am excited about these! I am thinking I will be needing Matte Pearl Glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a nice collection, Pearl Glaze is special and I like Holo Pearls... I'm such a sucker for holo top coats- they're just so pretty! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay.... I'm going to have to hunt these down.... @_@

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really good - I'm so impressed with these Revlons :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gold Glaze can be perfect for frankens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are all really neat... damn I was hoping I wouldn't like them, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've generally been less than pleased with the Revlon polishes for a while now, but I'm definitely going to have to look into these. Thanks for the brilliant swatches - you really give us a good sense of what these can do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Nude Graffiti (especially over the cream polish) and Pink Glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like a few of them but don't know if they coming this way has here we don't get so many colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to watch out this collex to hit my area; there's definately a couple I want to pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matte Pearl Glaze is great - I tried it over a purple creme and a wine shimmer and it reminds me of the Zoya Matte Velvets. Plus if you put regular topcoat over it, you get a beautiful purple/pink sparkle. I go Pink Glaze too, but I'm kind of meh about it...it reminds me of Sephora Formula X Over The Moon and China Glaze Travel In Colour, both of which I have.

    If you go for the new core colors, Sultry and Wild are must-haves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hah, I was just about to say exactly that- the Matte Pearl effect is like the Zoya matte Velvets! love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.