Monday, March 30, 2015

Funky Fingers You're the One That I Want Collection Swatches and Nail Art

Today I've got the latest collection from Funky Fingers, which at the time I included it in a display post, I wasn't exactly sure what it was called since I'd yet to see it with any signage. Since then, I saw this:



So the planogram I saw was pretty close; that said "You Are the One That I Want", while the display cards (which I consider official since it's what they've chosen to show us customers) say "You're the One That I Want".



The five colors are Hand Jive (orange), Pink Ladies (pink), Beauty School Dropout (purple), T'Birds (blue), Greased Lightnin' (green).



These are all jellies packed with small iridescent glitters and a scattering of holographic glitters. The formula is a little bit goopy, probably to make sure the glitter stays distributed. I did Skittles with three coats of each, starting with Hand Jive on my thumbnail, then Pink Ladies on my index, Beauty School Dropout on my middle, T'Birds on my ring, and Greased Lightnin' on my pinky. There was still a hint of nail line, so if that bothers you, wear opaque undies with these; I wouldn't recommend more than three coats of these glitters due to how thick the formula is.



The holo bits pop more in direct light than in the lightbox:



The sheer and sparkly nature of these Funky Fingers combined with their color range made me think of my old friends in the Zoya Bubbly collection, so I tried adding some gradient tips with the coordinating Zoyas. In some cases, they blended so well the transition was almost invisible, in others, they really could have used something in between to bridge the gap. Starting at my thumb and working to my pinky: Hand Jive plus Zoya Jesy, Pink Ladies plus Harper, Beauty School Dropout plus Binx, T'Birds plus Muse, and Greased Lightnin' plus Staasi.



The Zoyas have more pigment to them and also larger glitters in their mix, which makes them just different enough to show up against the Funky Fingers (well, blue Muse is a bit too strong for its counterpart).



Seeing how nicely they mixed with the Zoyas, I was curious about how they'd play with each other. I first laid down a white creme base, then went to town with gradients in different combinations. Top to bottom: Hand Jive plus Pink Ladies plus Beauty School Dropout, Pink Ladies plus Beauty School Dropout plus T'Birds, Beauty School Dropout plus T'Birds plus Greased Lightnin', T'Birds plus Greased Lightnin' plus Hand Jive. I loved all of these combinations, and together thought they made my nails look like Easter candy.







All of these looks have topcoat. Though the glitter is small and lays flat, it does seem to leave little divots sometimes, like the glitter is sinking into the pillowy thick base.

There was a time when I avoided Funky Fingers, mostly because the bottle is so wide that it takes up a lot of space in my Helmers. I'm glad I loosened up about that, because these are fun, and I can't think of any Color Club dupes for them (Funky Fingers shares a corporate parent with Color Club, same as Studio M does).

16 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful rainbow gradient effect you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great gradients with these Funky Fingers, they look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really fun!! I love the gradient you did with these on their own, they blend so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so delicate and pretty - I prefer them over the white base :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the first picture I immediately thought of the Zoya Bubbly polishes. Thanks for comparing them (although now I want these too... I just don't know where to get them on this side of the pond :S

    ReplyDelete
  6. This collection makes the little girl inside of me so happy! Maybe it's from growing up with Lisa Frank or from the sparkly pink and purple horsey shirt I always wore... I digress! lol I really like this collection, especially displayed together. I've worn them over color-coordinated undies, but now I really need to try the gradient look- so pretty! YAY for pretty sparkly rainbowy things! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought these looked familiar when I saw them

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing and I love the gradient :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like these Funky Finger polishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this post! There was a lot of interest on one of my FB nail groups about this collection. Your delightful article is very illuminating. It is interesting to see the various gradients you did. Thank you for the time you put into this review and for the wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! I wonder how long it will be 'til I see these since we JUST got the glow in the dark ones from Halloween... >_>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great price and very pretty glitters :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all I'd buy the polishes just for their "Grease themed" names :D Plus, the gradient on white you made with them is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.