Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Revlon Heavenly Swatches and Comparison

Heavenly is one of the polishes I bought when I saw the Revlon Bubble Gum Days / Urban Nights display. Of course I grabbed it; it's a glitter, with iridescent squares and hexes in an ever so slightly milky transparent base.



I suppose I could have tried this on its own, but I could hear it saying "layer me", so put grabbed my go to black base (Wet 'n' Wild Wild Shine Black Creme). Swatches are two coats of Heavenly over black, no topcoat.





I loved the jewel tones that the glitter took on over the dark base, and also liked the way new colors showed up where the glitter pieces overlapped since the glitter isn't opaque.



It seems pretty clear that Heavenly is following in the footsteps of other recent Revlon glitters aimed at duping Deborah Lippmann polishes. This time the target is Stairway to Heaven, so I pulled that out to do a comparison. While I was at it, I grabbed China Glaze Snow Globe, another iridescent translucent glitter mix.



Left to right below (all over black): Snow Globe (1 coat), Heavenly (2), Stairway to Heaven (2), Heavenly (2).



Snow Globe is the odd polish out here due to the size, density, and uniform shape of its glitters; it also seems to throw off a greater range of colors. Heavenly and Stairway to Heaven are prety much indistinguishable.

Here's a closer look at Heavenly (top) versus Stairway to Heaven (bottom):



I realized too late that I should have put Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Snow Globe in this comparison, but it's so new to my stash it's not even on my spreadsheet yet, much less sorted into the right place in my swatching boxes. Looking at the bottle shot I did when I found the display, the glitter seems similarly colored but it's not a dupe for either ChG Snow Globe or the two Heavens. On the Revlon dupes Lippmann front, I appreciate that the drugstore version of these polishes let more people enjoy the look—I'm guessing there's not a huge overlap between Revlon's target market and Lippmann's, so I don't think Revlon is taking business away from DL (I am in the overlap, and I bought both).

18 comments:

  1. I love these kinds of glitters and love you'r dupe posts even more! Its satisfying to know that I can have a DL for less than half the price in the form of a revlon =) Yay for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great comparison, thank you KarenD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this polish will be keeping my eye out for it now!

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Square glitter! Ooh me likey, and seeing as snow globe isn't a dupe I will have to have this now :p hehe, lovely swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love comparison posts, and this is no exception. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're all so pretty! Great comparison :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see I need the Revlon, but I don't know if I will be so lucky to find that one! WOW! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great comparison! I have Snowglobe, but I still kinda want that Revlon one... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like Revlon duped another Lippmann...love the square glitter in a non-indie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Revlon really like DL! I have Stairway to Heaven (got it in on sale woo) and Snowglobe, they're really very different so I'm happy to have both. Actually I haven't used StH yet so that needs to change!!

    I nominated you for an award on my blog =) I hope the link is ok! xx
    http://cutie-cle.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been scoping this out everywhere and it's not in my stores yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are Deborah Lippmann and Revlon made by the same company (like Lancome/L'Oreal) or is this totally ripping off? Hm. Still as a cheap bastard I'm glad it's happening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought Revlon Heavenly and I was googling to see if there was a comparison between Heavenly and Stairway to Heaven and your post was very helpful. It's amazing I can't even tell the difference between the two!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this, I was looking at Heavenly but ultimately put it back down on the shelf because it looked kinda similar to Snow Globe. Now I know!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.