Wednesday, June 19, 2013

More Matte Topcoat Comparisons

Last month I did a matte topcoat comparison with six different brands but not Essie because I couldn't find my Essie before I did the swatching for that post. A more efficient person, upon finding the Essie, would probably have swatched it quickly with a few of the others from the original comparison and done a a followup post within a week or so. Not me, nope. I got distracted by other things, then found another matte topcoat I'd forgotten about (Claire's), then in my various shopping excursions bought two more (Revlon and NYC). So here I am, finally, with four matte toppers I didn't swatch the last time: Revlon Matte Top Coat, NYC Matte Me Crazy, Essie Matte About You, and Claire's Matte Top Coat.



Here they are in the same order over Wet 'n' Wild Black Creme:



Essie is the most matte of this group, followed by Claire's, then Revlon, then NYC. The NYC is more what I'd consider a satin finish.

Here's a side view so you can see how the light hits these (Revlon on top):



Since Essie is the most matte of this group, I did a quick comparison of it to one of the most matte from the first round, Butter London Matte Finish. Essie on the left, Butter London on the right:



As many matte top coats as I have, I really should wear matte looks more often. Maybe I'll experiment with making strips matte, since strips is about all seem to want to do for manicures lately.

13 comments:

  1. I have the butter LONDON one and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. essie is absolutely matte, awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the essie! Good to know there's a comparable matte for the Butter London that's not quite as expensive. I keep seeing the NYC one, but I think I can safely skip it. The essence one I have is kind of satin-ish like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for doing this! I have the NYC and I thought it was matte until this post! Which is your favorite out of this and the other post you did? I seem to remember the OPI was the best out of that post, I could be wrong though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. leester, you recall correctly--the OPI was the most matte of the last group. I really need to do a head to head between OPI and Essie--I think they're pretty close but would be good to see for sure. Of all of the ones here and last post, I'd say the OPI is my favorite, though the Essie and China Glaze and Butter are all pretty close behind. Revlon and Claire's are the runners up--both are better values but I'm not sure how easy they are to find.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I think I will have to get the OPI soon :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of matte, I do however really like the satin finish, so perhaps I should look for the NYC :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great comparisons. I have both the Essie and BL ones and really like them both :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the effect of Essie the most. I need to wear matte manicures more often too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great test! I do not use matte so often, but I'm very pleased with the Essie, and it dries lightning fast too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say Essie is the winner! It's the best I've seen and everyone raves about it like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually really like that satin look of the NYC, I think I'll need to pick that one up! I own the Essie and I like matte looks, but I also never seem to wear them much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome comparison! Need to find the essie one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.