Friday, October 19, 2018

Hocus Pocus Box Set

In my most recent display post, I shared a photo of a Hocus Pocus nail polish box set that I found at the Spirit of Halloween store. Despite having seen the movie only once, I went ahead and bought it, because the colors looked decent and the bottles had witch hats on them. Witch hats. My collection needed them.



Binx is a black creme base with small multi-colored glitter. I used two coats for my swatch and added clear topcoat; it was pretty shiny and smooth without topcoat but I thought adding it might bring the glitter out more. This is pretty pigmented; one thick coat would probably have been sufficient.





Binx is the only bottle that has a name on it, but the iconography makes it clear which characters the other polishes are for. Sarah Sanderson is a purple shimmer that want to call a foil finish. Whatever it is, two coats were enough to achieve opacity.







Winifred Sanderson is a green shimmer. This one was more of a glass fleck and took three coats; even then, I felt like there was some phantom nail line showing.







I addressed the nail line issue (if there was one; it's sometimes hard to tell if it's there or just a trick of the light) by adding Binx at the tips and making a funky French with Winifred.



Mary Sanderson is a copper foil finish. This was almost a one-coater but I did two to try and get the brushstrokes all lined up. I wish I'd noticed before I bought this particular set that the label on the front of this one was put on too low, so her lips are almost off the bottom of the bottle, but oh well.







For fun, I added dots of Sarah and Winifred to Mary, then slicked on clear topcoat.



For a novelty polish set, I felt the formulas of these were decent. Even if they weren't, the bottles are cute enough to make it a worthwhile purchase in my opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Hi dear Karen! The black is very pretty! It's a funny set.
    Have a great day,
    Smuack

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are adorable, I would definitely have bought them as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those botttles are so adorable! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the green/black French. Great Halloween mani idea! I might try it. Would look great with orange too.

    The bottles are so cute. I think I might feel tempted to buy them if I saw them in a shop, even though I have similar colours in my collection. Well, I don't think they are available where I live so it's easy to say no ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.