Friday, May 21, 2010

Blue and Glittery

I hope you can stand just a bit more from the Orly Viva collection, because I liked La Playa so much that after doing all the comparison swatches in yesterday's entry, I put that beautiful blue back on and wore it until I had to switch to something more conservative to work my employer's user conference. Because I sometimes have trouble leaving well enough alone, I topped it with Finger Paints Sapphire Shimmer, which was way prettier than I'd expected. Taking a page out of Susie's blog, here's what I used for my mani:

Orly and Finger Paints polish

Starting at the left, I put on one coat of Orly Nailtrition. I'm trying this out as a possible replacement for Sally Hansen Age Correct Growth, which has been my treatment of choice but which SH decided to discontinue. I do still have a stash of bottles of the SH stuff but thought I'd feel better if I had a plan for when they eventually run out. Next comes Seche Base Ridge Filling, which I started using when L'Oreal stopped making the ridgefiller I used to like. Next, you'll notice I got the bottles in the wrong order again--obviously I put the Orly La Playa on first and then the Finger Paints glitter. I only used one coat of La Playa under two coats of glitter--it has excellent coverage. Last there's my favorite top coat, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip. I like this so much that I'm really surprised SH hasn't discontinued it, too, like she did my treatment base coat (and a lot of other people's holy grail base--Nail Quencher). When I was done it looked like this--some of these are bit out of focus, the better to show off the sparkly bits of color in the Sapphire Shimmer:


Orly and Finger Paints polish


Orly and Finger Paints polish

Orly and Finger Paints polish

I admit I was a tiny bit cranky about Finger Paints releasing a multi-colored glitter and a blue glitter so close on the heels of OPI's Alice in Wonderland ones--surely they could come up with something different, I thought--but they didn't just copy OPI. Sapphire Shimmer is beautiful and not at all a dupe of Absolutely Alice. I was fascinated with the pops of color that showed and was sad to take it off.

10 comments:

  1. Oooh, the Sapphire Shimmer is so pretty. It's not something I would buy normally, but now that I've seen it layered, I'm liking the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning me. :)
    I love anything ORLY. I still haven't gotten any Finger Paint Polishes yet. Looks great.
    ENjoy your weekend,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful combination! So sparkly! You can't go wrong with sparkly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this combination. Your pic shows the different colours in the glitter very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this FP glitter at my Sally store. It looks so pretty on your nails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful color pairing. Very vibrant. Will you keep it for the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow wow wow, this is such an amazing color combination!

    I'm still going back and forth with myself about if I want that Sapphire Shimmer, but this definitely is pushing me towards getting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone!

    Kimberly, I had to take it off after just a few days to switch to something less flashy for a work event, otherwise I think I would have kept it on as long as I could.

    ChaosButterfly, I was on the fence about it, too, but it's sooo pretty out of the bottle. Grab one before they're gone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I like this a lot!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.