Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Opposite of Green

After all that lime in the last two days, I though it would be a good idea to switch things up and go to the other side of the color wheel. Thus today I have red--red glitters, to be specific. A few weeks ago, The Frankenerd did a NOTD post with Sally Hansen Red Carpet, which reminded me that I had it in my untrieds, along with a Claire's of the same name. Of course those weren't the only two red glitters in my stash, so I pulled a few more out to swatch as well.

Red glitters

Left to right: Milani Ruby Jewels, Claire's Red Carpet, Sally Hansen Red Carpet, Orly Star Spangled, Essie Rubies Slippers.

Here they are on the nail, all 3 coats with no base or top coat:

Red glitters

On thumb: Milani. On fingers, top to bottom: Claire's, Sally Hansen, Orly, Essie.

The Claire's surprised me by drying nearly matte--definitely need a top coat with that one, unless matte glitter is your thing. I could probably have stopped at two coats for the SH Xtreme Wear and the Orly. The Essie was definitely the chunkiest and sheerest of the lot; I do not know how this mini labelled "Rubies Slippers" would compare to a full size Ruby Slippers. You can see the textures in this shot (as always, click to see bigger):

Red glitters

Top to bottom: Sally Hansen, Orly, Essie.

I put one coat of SH Insta-Dri on just the Claire's finger and that shined it right up (other nails in picture below are still without any TC):

Red glitters

Top to bottom: Claire's, Sally Hansen, Orly, Essie.

So, do we have any dupes here? Not quite. The Essie is unique. The Milani is a touch lighter than the SH, and the Orly is a touch darker. The Claire's, with top coat, is a touch darker still. Still, the four non-Essie ones are close enough that one wouldn't need all of them. My pick is the Sally Hansen, with Orly close behind.


As of now, I'm four short of 100 followers; when I get there I plan to have my next giveaway: a complete set of the Wet 'n' Wild Wild Shine summer collection as featured in this post. To enter, I'll be asking you to suggest a change you'd like to see to my blog, so start thinking about that, please.


  1. I have the Essie. They are all rather similar though. Good comparison!
    Changes? I'll don my thinking-cap...

  2. love red glitters! awesome :D

  3. Without getting in here and scrutinizing, the only one that pops out not being too similar is the Claire's. Gosh, I love red glitter! I can't stay away from the stuff around Christmas.


Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :)