Thursday, August 12, 2010

Essie Fall 2010, The Rest of the Story

Last month I shared four shades from Essie Fall 2010 that I'd gotten in the mini set from Nordstrom; today I have the remaining two colors, which I bought full sizes of when they showed up at Ulta earlier this month.

First up is Velvet Voyeur, which Essie describes as an "intense chocolate amethyst". I'd call it a vampy plum creme. In bright light, the plum shows more clearly.

Essie

Essie

Essie

Deep plum not being a particularly new color concept, I of course found something dupe-ish in my stash: Sally Hansen Complete Salon Pat on the Black.

Essie

Essie


Top to bottom: Velvet Voyeur, Pat on the Black, Velvet Voyeur, Pat on the Black.


Both covered in two coats. These are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. When I do my "weed out the dupes" destash, I'll probably keep the Essie since the bottle shape is more space-efficient.

The last polish in the collection, In Stitches, was a different story. Essie calls this "cheeky blush pink". I'm not sure what to call it: vibrant old rose? not quite mauve? cream of pink tomato soup? It puzzled me, and struck me as a rather old-fashioned color, probably because it reminded me of my maternal grandmother's house for some reason—she must have had a bedspread or drapes or something in this color that my subconscious is recalling.

Essie

Essie

I was sure I would find something close to this in my stash since I have all those old Sally Hansen and Maybelline polishes, but I didn't. I'm going to reorganize my Helmers by color soon (possibly even this weekend), so maybe something will turn up, but for now I can only show you what it's not like, namely Essie Angora Cardi and Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Chocolate (which isn't the color of any chocolate I would care to eat).

Essie

Essie

Top to bottom: Angora Cardi, In Stitches, Chocolate.


So, not as dark or purple as Angora Cardi, nor as brown as Chocolate. I must say, the more I look at these pictures, the more In Stitches is growing on me.

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a colour like In Stitches, but it isn't a typical colour that appeals to me. Lately I have been drawn to colours I wouldn't normally choose, I think I just want to round out my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not impressed by the Essie fall collection... But I do love your swatches!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL @ cream of pink tomato soup :)

    Finally, an Essie collection I don't have the urge to buy 100%

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting about In Stitches. I felt a retro feel to it as well. But it looks very nice on you. I'm a vampy color girl so the In Stitches would be what I call an 'interview' color. I'd feel OK wearing this on an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat on the Black is so close!
    BTW I tagged you in my recent post =D http://polishfreshie.blogspot.com/2010/08/10-things-flower-pretties.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing new to see. Shame because the summer colours I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love In Stitches. I don' have any polish which is even similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a whole bunch of "grandma"-ish colors that look similar to Angora Cardi, In Stitches, Chocolate - In fact I have Chocolate. Haven't worn it yet, but I always find myself drawn to colors like this, which so many others feel are "boring/prude-ish". Love em!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.