Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sally Hansen Ultra HD

Earlier this week, someone on the nail board posted pictures of a new Sally Hansen HD display, then a day or two later, someone else posted some bottle photos. Both of those ladies had spotted these at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, so I took a very slight detour on the way home one night to see if my BB&B had them. They did not. The next night, I stopped at a Walgreens--they'd been the first stores to get Hidden Treasure around here so I figured they might have the SH hookup, and sure enough, there was the display, nearly full. Unfortunately, the SH sale that was on did not cover HD, but I went ahead and indulged anyway. Better for my health that I spend my disposable income on nail polish than chocolate and cheesburgers.


Sally Hansen HD

Sally Hansen HD

Left to right: Byte, LCD, Wavelength, Hue, Resolution, Spectrum, DVD, Laser.


Byte is a fuschia glass fleck that flashes bright pink with hints of blue. I put this one on over a semi-opaque base coat (Seche Base) and needed three coats to cover my nail line. After this one, I stopped using the base coat so I could see what the polish alone was like.

Sally Hansen HD

LCD is a bright pink that flashes blue. After four coats there was still a hint of visible nail line. However, it wasn't streaky, even at one coat, so I can see using this for an interesting French mani or for layering.

Sally Hansen HD

Wavelength is a pinky coral. It's much more pigmented than LCD, and even a bit more than Byte; at two coats with no base coat, there was just tiny bit of VNL at certain angles, and with three coats I got full coverage.

Sally Hansen HD

Hue is a buttery yellow. I had streakiness and brushstroke issues with this one. The color is very glowy, though, so if it complemented my skintone better I might put up with the issues to wear it. Swatch is three coats, which isn't so bad for a yellow.

Sally Hansen HD

The green, Resolution, is the odd polish out in this collection; it doesn't have the pronounced glass fleck that all the others have to some extent (Wavelength and Hue have less of it than the others, but it's still there). The finish on this is more like Opulent Cloud and the original HDs. The first coat of this was streaky, but a second evened it out. I could have stopped at two coats--no VNL at that point--but I went ahead and did three. I ended up liking this one quite a lot; it's got a subtle glow to it.

Sally Hansen HD

Spectrum, the turquoise, was pretty sheer; I used four coats and probably should have gone to five to completely banish VNL. It's very sparkly, on the micro glitter side of glass flecked in my eyes (like Byte, LCD, and the two to come--DVD and Laser).

Sally Hansen HD

If I could have only one from this collection, it would be DVD. No surprise, it's the purple one--or really, the blurple one, as it has a purple base with a very pronounced blue flash. The swatch is four coats, though I probably could have stopped at three. Unfortunately, it's a hard one to capture in photos.

Sally Hansen HD

Laser is DVD's close sibling, blue with a purple flash. I did three coats of this one.

Sally Hansen HD

For me, the three must haves from this collection are Byte, Resolution, and DVD, with LCD, Spectrum, and Wavelength not far behind.

8 comments:

  1. OOhh I love them. Wish we had more Sally Hansen in The Netherlands.Great haul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love DVD and Spectrum. Really good swatches too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at BB&B today and they had a fully stocked display of these. I got Wavelength. It was hard, but I kept it to just one....for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh - these are beautiful!

    Nice Swatches and fast, too. Didn't these just come out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone.

    Deez Nails--yeah, they've just started showing up around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was super excited when I saw these at CVS, but $7.19 for SH is just too much. But your pictures make me wanna go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Sheri, this was a good line while it lasted.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.