Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Complete Salon Selections

Walgreens had a sale on Sally Hansen polish last week, so I went to a few stores hoping to find the Fall 2010 Complete Salons I'd only seen at Meijer at full price up to that point. (The ones I took in-store bottles pics of for this entry.) I struck out until Saturday night, by which point the store I found them in had started to switch over to the next week's sale. The clerk at the counter said no, they were ringing up at full price now, so I left them there and went to a different store, but they didn't have the new display. Since Mr. Karen was off having guy time and wouldn't be wondering how a quick trip to the drugstore was taking over an hour, I decided to go back to the other store with my serious sad I-can't-believe-you-won't-honor-this-ad face and was fortunate to find a different clerk who rang me up at the sale price. Score!

I did not get all the colors in the display, but I had enough of them that I attracted the attention of another customer, whom I ended up having a very nice chat with once I realized she wasn't asking if I was going to buy all those because she wanted them for herself (I got the last one of some of the shades). Following my usual "more is better" philosophy, today I have swatches of all ten colors I bought. (At this point it seems like I shoudl just buy the other four, doesn't it?)

Let's start with the glitters, since those are the most eye catching. All of these have a clear base, and while they are fairly dense with glitter, I still had some visible nail line after three thin coats. I don't mind that because it means they should be great for layering. The three glitters are Golden Ticket, a coppery gold, Starry Starry Flight, a silver, and Downtown Rubies, a red.







The next group I have is the neutrals, which I at first thought were all cremes, but no, one has some shimmer to it. The lightest ones, Evening Fog and Wet Clay, took three coats while the others, Fedora (the shimmer) and Touch of Mink and Bittersweet, took only two.











Finally, we've come to the two dark and mysterious shimmers, the olive green Sequin Scandal and the plum Problem Child, both of which have mini-flakies in them. I used three coats of Sequin Scandal and two of Problem Child; I think I was just so fascinated by Sequin Scandal that I had trouble putting the brush down.









I'm quite happy with these. Undoubtedly some of them are dupes of other polishes but they went on so nicely I can't be cross with them. (I think I'm finally getting used to working that weird wide brush and stem.) I'm looking forward to playing more with the glitters and I will probably do some comparisons at some point because I really can't keep increasing my stash and de-duping is the least painful way to reduce it.

15 comments:

  1. I like Fedora- I'm a fan of the neutrals with a shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like several out of this collection. Some very pretty colors =0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh these are so pretty!! I love Sequin Scandal on you. And lol @ thinking the lady in Walgreens wanted to buy the Sally Hansens. Can you imagine the police report on that brawl?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How was the dry time? I have such a hard time getting Sally Hansen products to dry, I don't know if it's my body chemistry or what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha...I can't believe you won't honor the ad face! Classic. I want wet clay so bad!!! I'm a soil scientist so that would just make my day when I find it here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these colors are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn SH for not selling their polishes in the UK. Why bloomin' not???

    So many stunning polishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of these are really good, I like darks most. wish we had SH in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice polishes! My favourites are Sequin Scandal and Problem Child :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great colors there, and nice you got em for sale!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those glitters look gorgeous even by their own. And I love fedora- very nice combination- and looks quite unique to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a really nice collection,I love the glitters! Shame they don't sell them in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

    Jennifer, dry time was decent for me, but I tend to do well with SH (I use their Insta Dri top coat on everything). Body chemistry does seemt to affect things more than I would expect; I had awful luck with a NailTek treatment some people swear by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Problem Child remindes me of OPI - Merry Midnight

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.