Monday, October 15, 2012

A Trio of Comparisons

Today I've managed to jam ten polishes into eight photos (I almost got it down to six photos but decided I needed a couple of alternate views). Yep, it's comparison time.

One of my Google+ friends, Amoena, asked how similar some Essie taupes were to each other. If you follow me on Google+, you already saw the results, but not everyone is on all social media platforms, so I thought I'd post it here to. First, the bottles; left to right—Miss Fancy Pants, Glamour Purse, Don't Sweater It, Merino Cool.



Same order as above, on the nail:



Miss Fancy Pants is the lightest and the most grey. Glamour Purse is the brownest. Don't Sweater It and Merino Cool are the closest to being dupes, both being purple-y, but Merino Cool is noticeably more purple. They're not so different that you need one if you already have the other, though.

mrsrexy of Canadian Nail Fanatic asked in a comment if China Glaze Make a Spectacle was dupey to anything. I did not know, so over this past weekend, I grabbed a few things from my stash that looked somewhat similar in the bottle to se what I could see. Left to right: China Glaze Snow Globe, China Glaze Make a Spectacle, Hard Candy Break Up, Kiko 231.



On the nail in the same order, all two coats over Wet 'n' Wild Black Creme:



No dupes here. Snow Globe has more colors than Spectacle and is all glitter, no shimmer. Break Up is similar in feel to Spectacle, with gold to green shifting glitter and shimmer in the base, but the glitter is bigger, the shimmer more sparse and less colorful, and both are less dense than in Spectacle. Kiko 231 has things in common with all of these, but is a dupe for none.

Side view (Snow Globe on top):



At this point, I'm guessing some of you are thinking "that's nice, but I like a comparison posts with dupes in them". Well, you're in luck—take a gander at China Glaze Electrify and Sinful Pumpkin Spice:



Here are two coats of each over Orly Ignite; left to right, it's Electrify, Pumpkin Spice, Electrify, and Pumpkin Spice:



Side view, where you can see sometimes the gold really dominates in both of them depending on the viewing angle:



So if you regret not getting Electrify when the Hunger Games collection was around, look for the Sinful Bewitched display and grab Pumpkin Spice.

*****

I am still working on the Halloween giveaway winner picking; look for those results in a couple days. Other coming attractions for this week: displays, Halloween polishes, and probably more Halloween polishes.

20 comments:

  1. Wow that post was very useful taupe-wise! Looking at the bottles you can think "why do I need them all"? But then on the nails there are some differences, so I guess the answer is "because I can't just pick up a single one"! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love to see comparison and dupe posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am definitely going to pick up Pumpkin Spice!! I actually saw it the other day, but I passed on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I have always wanted Merino Cool and I never pick it up. I always think I have dupe. I think I just need to finally pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thx for the comp! I guess I'll be heading to Sally's to pick up Make a Spectacle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your comparisons! And, I can't wait to see more Halloween nail polishes! :D:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for doing all this! So helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great comparison! will be looking for pumpkin spice :) thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome comparison post! I just picked up CG Make a Spectacle over the weekend, can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard a lot of buzz about CG Snow Globe and Spectacle being similar...I'm glad to know they aren't!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great comparisons. Thanks for making me feel better about picking up Make a Spectacle even though I already have Snow Globe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this comparisons post! I'm a sucker for those Essie taupe colors. I have a lot of similar Essies because of my craze...lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. SInful colours and the china glaze look so similar but they're both so gorgeous!

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome comparison post! I love all the glitter ones! Even it they are similar I would love to own them all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't do Google + so am glad you posted this here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great post... love the Fall colors... just finished my daughter's nails and am hoping to create some of the looks with her nails that I see here on your blog... like the comparisons you did so I can see the finished nail :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great comparisons! I really like the taupes. May have to try and snag a couple.

    ReplyDelete


  18. Hey
    Your blog is so cute, I loved. I'm already following. Could you follow me, please?
    Thanks

    abelezaeonossovicio.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.