Monday, May 20, 2013

L'Oreal Miss Candy Gellies

Today I've got Skittle swatches of the L'Oreal jelly polishes for Summer 2013 from the Miss Candy collection plus some bonus sandwiches and such. On the display, L'Oreal touts these polishes as having "gellie technology" with "sheer finish" and "high gloss". There are eight colors, which I somewhat precariously stacked for the group bottle shot.



Left to right below (all three coats, no topcoat): Bananarama Love (yellow), Bubble Trouble (pink), Mango Mamma (orange), and Jolly Lolly (warm red):





Left to right below (as above, all three coats, no topcoat): Lilac Coolers (lilac), Crème de Mint (green), Miss Pixie (blue), and Berry Nice (purple).





Since these are meant to be sheer, of course there's visible nail line. Skintone underwear would take care of that, while white underwear would work similar to how it does with neons, making the colors pop. I chose to just embrace the squishiness and wear them over nothing at all.

Sheer polishes are often prone to is streakiness, but these don't have that issue. Here's Berry Nice, building from one coat on my index finger to four on my pinky:





I definitely wanted to try making jelly sandwiches with these (which I suppose should be called glitter sandwiches because the jelly is the bread part, not the filling, but now I'm off on a tangent and need to stop). I grabbed one of the Mardi Gras glitters which I thought would coordinate with all of the L'Oreals, this unnamed mix of large and small hexes in a rainbow of colors plus gold and silver.



I made unbalanced sandwiches with the jellies and the glitter, putting two or three coats of color, followed by one of the glitter, then just one more of the color so as not to cover the glitter too much. It was interesting to see how the different colors affected how the glitter looked.





Overall, this is a fun collection, and I think most everyone could find at least one color in here that would be flattering. I'm a bit skeptical about the yellow one, as at one coat it just looks like bad staining, but I can see wearing it over over colors or in jelly sandwiches for sure.




19 comments:

  1. Meh... I can find sheer polishes for half L'Oreal prices. The colors are nice, but jellies just don't do it for me. Cute sandwiches, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome, your swatches make me want them all, even the pink one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... these didn't interest me in stores but now I kinda think I kinda need them......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need these. All of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 5 of these (wearing lilac coolers right now!) and i love them so much! thanks for the jelly sandwich ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmmmmm those are a tad too sheer for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once layered to create a glitter/jelly sandwich I am more interested in these. A couple seem nice alone, but not as many as I had hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, how I love jellies!! These are so exciting to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the color of these but I'm not a big fan of sheer polish so I am so glad you paired them with the glitter! I love them with the glitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had convinced myself that I didn't need ALL THE JELLIES until I saw you make them all into sandwiches with that multi-colored glitter... which reminds me of some China Glaze glitters I have... maybe I only need 4 of these now haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love jellies for layering polishes! great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for showing these - beautiful colors, but I prefer opaque polishes...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way they look with the glitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love jelly sandwiches that you made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked how the jelly...or gellie...sandwiches turned out too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I prefer opaque polishes, but I like the way these jelly polishes look with the glitter :-) My favourites are Lilac Coolers, Berry Nice, Miss Pixie and Crème de Mint :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty swatches! I love that you used different glitters for each jelly sandwich. Totally going to have to steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, that's the beauty of these--I used the same exact glitter polish for all the sandwiches and let the jellies to do the work of making it look different. :)

      Delete
  18. I saw the Lilac Coolers in CVS one day and bought it. I had no clue it was a gellie so I was disappointed that it was sooooo sheer. So I'm glad I saw this post so I know what it actually is and now I know how to wear it. Going to try the syrup and sandwich styles with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.